Build number depends on what FreeNAS boots with

avalon60

Guru
This is weird now:
If I boot from the Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB 16Gb drive which has FreeNAS 11.2-U4.1 on, the system page says the build is FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1.
Now if I boot from a laptop 80gb sata hard drive, which I put freeNAS 11.2-U4.1 on, the system page says the build is: FreeNAS-11.2-U2

I have a monitor connected to my NAS box, and when the sata 80gb drive is booting up, after the menu screen, FreeNAS continues with some other messages etc, then goes into a reboot, and boots up FreeNAS 11.2-U2. The same thing happened with a sata 20Gb laptop drive.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening. While FreeNAS seems to be working fine, I keep seeing that there is an update available, and when I applied / installed the update on a 20Gb sata drive, after booting up, the system page still said FreeNAS 11.2-U2.

Is it a case of FreeNAS not liking sata hard drives, which sounds silly, I know, but I am trying to get away from using USB drives, as I was told in another thread that they don't last as long as hard drives.

Thanks

D

dlavigne

You have 2 different operating systems installed to 2 different operating system devices. Whichever one you boot into is the one that boots up.

avalon60

Guru
I had the same operating sytem on both the USB and the 20Gb sata drive as I flashed them both withe the same version.
Anyway , it's sorted now as the usb drive failed to boot, so I booted from the 20gb drive.