HP N54L - NIC issues on fresh install Link status down No Carrier

juuce

Cadet
Hi, I've setup a HP microserver N54L for Truenas CORE setup. I have setup 4 of these boxes in the past (N40L andN54L)
Current hardware:
4GB RAM ( I know this is low but the 16GB ECC ram I bought isn't being recognised and the system doesn't even get to POST, this is a separate issue)
The rest is standard on a N54L
I've moded the BIOS (https://www.nathanielperez.us/blog/hp-proliant-n40l-bios-modification-guide)

NOTE:: I have a USB to SATA cable plugged into the Motherboard to hold the Truenas install OS [ 120GB Kingston SSD]. All my previous setups use a USB stick directly into the MOBO. (these have been running for 4-5 years no problem) Freenas 11 - 5 * 1TB RAID2Z - 8GB sandisk USB for OS

Current issue:
Installation of Truenas core OK. Boot to main screen (1-11 options)
5*2TB disks visible in BIOS
Issue: Link down (bge0)
#ifconfig
... no carrier ...

Now: I know the cable works because I used ubuntu (14 desktop) live image to test it and web browsing worked fine. (boot usb, Ubuntu desktop loads on same box, same cable etc)

So, I think it could either be:
1. The RAM (4GB is just too little...?)
2. The USB to SATA cable is drawing too much power for the 120GB SSD drive causing the NIC to suffer...
3. The BIOS - but I have the same modded bios on all my other microserver boxes (unlikely)
4. The MOBO itself (unlikely due to ubuntu working fine)

Still trying a few other things
(install freenas 11 and test NIC)
Will try install direct over USB stick as per my other boxes to rule out point 2 above.
Will try take RAM from my other box to rule out point 1.

Any suggestions welcome.

Dave

juuce

Cadet
Update: Freenas 11 install had same issues: (link down, no carrier)

Next test, Install Truenas direct on USB stick
TBC

juuce

Cadet
NOTES and testing: I tried installing via the USB on MOBO method but this seemed to hang on 'active da0'... Could be faulty USB stick or something else.

Looks like the N54L doesn't like using a USB to SATA adapter cable.

Current (functional) installation:
4GB RAM
4 * 2TB disks
1 * 120GB SSD (sata off MOBO)

Now: I tried removing the SATA SSD and using the USB to SATA adapter. Boot up OK. network ....
NOTE: using USB to SATA does not ask me to create a swap space partition...? Above SATA config did.

Update:
So, USB to SATA works (i.e. installs and NIC works fine) with 4 disks.
It appears that the 5th disk (seagate 3TB) running off the mother board was causing the problem...

Plugged it back in, now everything works (as expected)

i.e.
USB to SATA running OK
5 disks visible in 'storage=>disks'
Pool created with 5 disks.

No idea what has actually changed from my initial attempt. What I have now is what I had at the start with issues....
Could be connectors, could be cabling.... no idea.

Basically it works. Just in case anyone finds this post. Keep trying, it will eventually work... somehow.

Final setup:
4GB RAM
Disks: 4*2TB + 1* 3TB = 1 ZFS RAIDZ2 pool. (force creation due to mismatch in sizing, future update to 3TB disks)
OS: 120GB SSD running off MOBO usb with USB 3 to SATA adapter cable.

Working as expected....? No idea what caused the network card to go down... Will continue tests over the coming days.

juuce

Cadet
Current Dashboard

Truenas core 12
4GB EEC RAM
4 disks in RAIDZ2
USB to SATA cable running OS on 120GB SSD

Original issue of network down seems to have disappeared...???
See screenshot for working environment...

Attachments

• Truenas-setupLowRAM.png
    Truenas-setupLowRAM.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 194