HP DL180 / G6 SAS Backplane with IBM ServeRAID 1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlach

Patron
Hey,
I'm looking into taking similar actions and replacing the p410i on my HP DL180 G6 to a "normal" SAS Controller, but looking at the M1015 I see it has the connectors (for the cable) on the top part, while the p410 has it on the rear edge of the card.

Is that an issue?
Is the existing cable from the p410 to the backplane long enough?

The card fits just fine in the server.

I can't speak to the length of the cable though, as I bought my DL180G6 without the cable, and - instead - supplied my own. They are cheap on MonoPrice though, so if you have to get a longer one, it's not the end of the world.

Just beware, if you do go this route, that DL180G6 WILL GET VERY LOUD!

HP - in their wisdom put temperature sensors in every damned board in the DL180G6. if you replace one of th eoriginal boards (like that p410) with a board that the server can't read the temperature sensor on, it will go into panic mode, and turn all the fans up to max (or near max) since it cant tell what the temp is.

I don't know if you have the 4 fan or 8 fan version, but either way, those little 80mm fans are 12,000rpm models if I recall, and when they all spin up, it sounds like a commercial jetliner preparing for takeoff.

I thought I would have high noise tolerance, as my server was in my basement, with closed doors. Turns out I could not only hear it on the main floor of the house (with doors closed through the floor!) but also two floors up in my bedroom. It was insane.

This is why my DL180g6 has been sitting unused for almost 2 years.

I harvested the CPU's and RAM out of it, and built them into a custom server, which is much quieter.

If anyone wants a DL180G6 with motherboard only (no RAID, no CPU's, no RAM) but with 14 drive caddies, and the optional 3 PCIe express slot riser, let me know. I'm sure we can work out a good price :p

MtK

Patron
The card fits just fine in the server.

I can't speak to the length of the cable though, as I bought my DL180G6 without the cable, and - instead - supplied my own. They are cheap on MonoPrice though, so if you have to get a longer one, it's not the end of the world.

HP - in their wisdom put temperature sensors in every damned board in the DL180G6. if you replace one of th eoriginal boards (like that p410) with a board that the server can't read the temperature sensor on, it will go into panic mode, and turn all the fans up to max (or near max) since it cant tell what the temp is.

I don't know if you have the 4 fan or 8 fan version, but either way, those little 80mm fans are 12,000rpm models if I recall, and when they all spin up, it sounds like a commercial jetliner preparing for takeoff.

I thought I would have high noise tolerance, as my server was in my basement, with closed doors. Turns out I could not only hear it on the main floor of the house (with doors closed through the floor!) but also two floors up in my bedroom. It was insane.

This is why my DL180g6 has been sitting unused for almost 2 years.

I harvested the CPU's and RAM out of it, and built them into a custom server, which is much quieter.

If anyone wants a DL180G6 with motherboard only (no RAID, no CPU's, no RAM) but with 14 drive caddies, and the optional 3 PCIe express slot riser, let me know. I'm sure we can work out a good price :p
Mine is in a data centre so noise is less of 'my' problem

Sure, I'll have it of you're giving it away...

Robert F

Cadet
ANSWER: Yes! The IBM M1015 arrived today. I crossflashed it into IT mode and it recognizes all 14 drives via the single SAS cable. Good to go!
Can you link the instructions you used to cross flah the m1015?

Robert F

Cadet
I have a DL385 g6. I ordered an IBM 1015. My question is the 1015 has 2 connectors but the back planes have 2 each connectors for a total of 4. How did you connect the card to recognize all of the drives?

Stone Man

Cadet

Hi, sorry to revive this old thread.
Regarding the panic mode and all the fans going full speed, making the noise unbearable... just wondered if you tried to leave the old HP p410 controller in place (to keep the server calm and quiet) and use your m1015 on another slot?
Regards

Robert F

Cadet
Regarding the panic mode and all the fans going full speed, making the noise unbearable... just wondered if you tried to leave the old HP p410 controller in place (to keep the server calm and quiet) and use your m1015 on another slot?
Regards
I have the Dl385 g6 with one processor and two m1015's. It runs nice and quiet. I created the freenas thumb drive on a toally different computer and set the power mode to "let os manage power mode" but I'm pretty sure power mode doesnt matter. I only had the fans run in " panic mode" when I tried to create a bootable disk on the dl385.

Stone Man

Cadet
I have the Dl385 g6 with one processor and two m1015's. It runs nice and quiet. I created the freenas thumb drive on a toally different computer and set the power mode to "let os manage power mode" but I'm pretty sure power mode doesnt matter. I only had the fans run in " panic mode" when I tried to create a bootable disk on the dl385.
Hi Robert, thanks for your reply.
I referred to "panic mode" meaning fans going 100% (really really noisy) due to a system event like opening the chassis or removing a required temp sensor (like @mattlach did with removing the old p410 controller). In your case I guess it was just a peak in the temps or load that made the fans go wild. Also DL385 g6 may be more tolerant (compared to DL180 g6) to changing original HP hardware with other one (like m1015). Wish the DL180 G6 were not that fussy about the brand of the controller....

foxhop

Cadet
I run FreeNAS on an HP DL180 G6 and just replaced my p410 controller with an LSI SAS9220-8i (IBM M1015) flashed to IT mode. The stock cables are long enough. I did not have issues with fans running at high RPM.

(I did the same replacement on an HP DL160 G6 running SmartOS and it didn't have a high fan RPM issues either)

mattlach

Patron
Regards

I never tried that, sorry.

I don't think it would work though, as it is evident the panic mode is a failsafe. If it can't identify something, assume worst case (it is very hot) and max the fans.

I have since read that using an HP200 SAS HBA might work instead, so recently since I got a pair of CPU's
For it for like $10 I decided to give it a try. I picked up an H200 on eBay for $45, and after installing it the server is indeed quieter than it was with the M1015, but I am fighting an issue where no matter what I do I can't get it to recognize the SAS Expander /backplane combo in the server.

It will directly connect to drives just fine, but connect the backplane and it just initiativets forever. I'm still troubleshooting this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.