HowTo BACKUP (not Snapshot !!!) a VM from FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdimuzio

Dabbler
Hi,
Is there a way to make a BACKUP of a Vmware VM ?

I'm using the last version of FreeNAS and Vmware ESXi 5.5 (Vmware is using a datastore iSCSI connected inside FreeNAS)

I can snapshot the VM's and restore...but now I wish to make backups. Does it's possible with some ad-hoc script FreeNAS based?

Tnx

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Zfs snapshots with zfs replication will make a backup. I would test the restore procedure though, I'm not sure if it will work.

gpsguy

Are you using the free version of ESXi or a purchased version. If the latter there are a number of options available to you. Visit the VMware forums for suggestions.

VMware's backup API isn't available in the free version, limiting your options.

Sent from my phone

mdimuzio

Dabbler
Are you using the free version of ESXi or a purchased version. If the latter there are a number of options available to you. Visit the VMware forums for suggestions.

VMware's backup API isn't available in the free version, limiting your options.

Sent from my phone

I'm using a lincensed Vmware ESXi 5.5, but I managed it only with vSphere client (my boss didn't bought a license of vCenter Server)

Last edited:

mdimuzio

Dabbler
Zfs snapshots with zfs replication will make a backup. I would test the restore procedure though, I'm not sure if it will work.

Hi SweetAndLow,
I tested the restore from FreeNAS 9.3, but he doesn't rebuild a deleted VM.

I will try to explain better my test :

1) I do it a snapshot with FreeNAS
2) I cheched with the "Snapshot Manager" (inside ESXi) that the spapshot on the dot 1) was done correctly by FreeNAS
3) From ESXi I erased ("Delete from Disk") the VM that I snapshot previously with FreeNAS on the dot 1)
4) I tryed to restore the VM with FreeNAS...but ESXi doesn't rebuild a new VM !

In your opinion where I'm wrong ?

Tnx

gpsguy

Even the free version needs a license to use it after the 60 day trial ends. If you only have one ESXi host, using the vSphere client makes sense.

I'd check your license to see what you have. Veeam sells a number of ESXi utilities and offers some free tools (limited feature set).

I'm using a lincensed Vmware ESXi 5.5, but I managed it only with vSphere client (my boss didn't bought a license of vCenter Server)

mdimuzio

Dabbler
Immagine333333333333.png
videata.png
Even the free version needs a license to use it after the 60 day trial ends. If you only have one ESXi host, using the vSphere client makes sense.

I'd check your license to see what you have. Veeam sells a number of ESXi utilities and offers some free tools (limited feature set).

Hi gpsguy,
I attached a screenshot of my Vmware ESXi

Last edited:

mgh333

Cadet
I didn't know you could license esxi by itself. You sure you don't have vmware essentials that includes vsphere? Not that it would help you with backups.
I'm not sure freenas really plays into this, or if I miss understand the question.

You might take a look at Veam Backup, its free and works well. http://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html
For moving vm's try vCenter converter, its also free I believe. https://www.vmware.com/products/converter and an awesome program. It will also convert between different different vm architecture and versions, and convert different backup types, like .tib to virtual, and real pc's to vertual, etc.

gpsguy

Please blackout your serial number or delete the 2nd screenshot. I did grab a snapshot on my phone and will compare it with mine when I get home.

I believe you might have the free version. If so, some of the backup tools won't work.

Sent from my phone

mdimuzio

Dabbler
Hi gpsguy,
I confirm you that we have a free version of ESXi.

Now I'm trying "ghettoVCB.sh" to backup the VMs inside ESXi...but I must understand how to integrate the backups maked by the freeware ghettoVCB.sh with the snapshots scheduled with FreeNAS. I will update this post.

mdimuzio

Dabbler
Hi, guys.

UPDATE of my previous post

With ghettoVCB.sh and ghettoVCB-restore.sh it's possibile to backup and restore LAST snapshots of the VMs on a free ESXi. The only problem remained it's to rollback a VM individually. As it's now FreeNAS 9.3, it's only possibile to rollback the entire datastore :(

Status
Not open for further replies.