Not open for further replies.

yajinni

Cadet
I have some old hardware i plan on putting to use:

AMD Athlon LE-1660 2.8GHz
4 GB Ram
ATi Radeon HD 3200
Asus M3A78-EM

I was looking at FreeNas 8 since its so recommended and was a little shocked at the recommended requirements.
How will not meeting them affect file transfer speeds?

Also i have 2 2TB hard drives and 1 3 TB hard drives i plan on putting into the system. I would prefer they show up as one big pool of data, like a JBOD setup. I noted v7 said it does that but not v8?

This will be a file server serving mostly videos. Most videos are around 400mb on average size.

This will all be on a gigabit wired network if it matters.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You can run it on 4gb of RAM as long as you use install the x64 version...
However of course this might impact a bit on the performance as prefetch will be disabled, its hard to say how much. Better just install it and see if it fit your needs...
You can use those 3 disks in a one big pool (stripe) with about 7TB of usable data but then you lose redundancy (1 disk fail you lose it all)

yajinni

Cadet
There is no other option than striping it to get it as one big pool?

And i guess then how good is FreeNas on picking up possible drive failures in that case?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
No, unless you're willing to lose about of 3TB of usable space.. you can use a raidz with those 3 disks, but the disk of 3TB would work like it was 2TB... you would get around of 4TB of usable space

Status
Not open for further replies.