How will i re-install Freenas without losing data ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billys

Dabbler
I have propably an easy question, but it is very important for me.

I think, i had installed version 8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825). Today, my usb has been stopped working, so i can't load Freenas.
Propably, i must load again the same version of Freenas in a usb and load Freenas. Correct?
The question that follows, is how will i load the disks and the configuration that i had (mirroring the disks), without losing data.

Thank you in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you backed up your config file like a good admin you simply reinstall 8.3.0, then upload the config file.

If you have no config file, then you should just install any version newer than 8.3.0(highly recommend 9.2.0) and do an auto-import of your pool. That will mount your old zpool. Then all you have to do is go through and resetup your server from scratch.

Billys

Dabbler
Thank you very much for your answer.

So, the safe way now, is to reinstall 8.3.0, and upload the configuration file.

For future reference, if i want to change my hardware, except disks, can i follow the second procedure, to auto-import the pool ?
What about the disks configuration ? I have my disks mirroring.

Is there any posibility in any case to delete my files ?

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For future reference, if i want to change my hardware, except disks, can i follow the second procedure, to auto-import the pool ?
What about the disks configuration ? I have my disks mirroring.

Yep.. just import your pool on the new server hardware and FreeNAS version and your pool should be there.

Is there any posibility in any case to delete my files ?

Thank you!

There's cases where YOU did things to lose your data. We've had plenty of people create a pool in the drives they wanted to auto-import and other stuff like that. User error will kill your pool, but auto-importing is very safe.

Billys

Dabbler
Yep.. just import your pool on the new server hardware and FreeNAS version and your pool should be there.

There's cases where YOU did things to lose your data. We've had plenty of people create a pool in the drives they wanted to auto-import and other stuff like that. User error will kill your pool, but auto-importing is very safe.

When you write auto-importing, you mean this procedure : http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Auto_Importing_Volumes (Auto Importing Volumes only)
Correct?

Billys

Dabbler
Thank you very much for your answer.

And one last question.
So, the safe way now, is to reinstall 8.3.0, and upload the configuration file.

I reinstall 8.3.0, and upload the configuration file, or I reinstall 8.3.0, auto -import volumes and upload the configuration file ?

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your volume information is in the config file.. so there's no need to import your volumes as any configuration you have will be trashed when you upload a config file.

Status
Not open for further replies.