Can I Install FreeNAS Without Losing Data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Explorer
I've inherited a file server running Free BSD that has six 3TB drive (plus a 7th drive for the OS). Most of the six drives are about half-full with data that I don't want to lose. I'd like to install FreeNAS in place of FreeBSD, but I'm concerned about losing the data already on the drives.

Can I preserve the data without tediously copying it all somewhere else first and then copying it all back again?

INCSlayer

Contributor
with the extremely small amount of information you have given im going to give you a equally small answer: no

solarisguy

Guru
If those 6 drives (3TB each) are in RAID-Z2, then you can just install FreeNAS and import the pool (export it first using FreeBSD!!!).

FreeNAS installs to a USB memory device (or two of them if you want a mirror), so you can try that outright.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
And you may or may not want to install FreeNAS.

RoadHazard

Explorer
If those 6 drives (3TB each) are in RAID-Z2, then you can just install FreeNAS and import the pool (export it first using FreeBSD!!!).

FreeNAS installs to a USB memory device (or two of them if you want a mirror), so you can try that outright.

The drives are not currently RAID-ed, although they appear to have been mirrored in the past. Most/all files appear in two places, on separate drives, although I can manipulate the files separately. This suggests to me that they used to be mirrored (hence the duplication) but aren't any more.

The FreeNAS documentation makes it clear that it uses ZFS exclusively, which is not (I assume) the current native file system of my FreeBSD box. Thus, my hesitation to install FreeNAS and try it out until I'm sure the installation process won't overwrite my drives before I'm ready.

Happy to provide additional data or specifications. What have I left out?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can most certainly install FreeNAS without losing your data--FreeNAS installs to whatever device(s) you tell it to, which is(are) typically 8-16 GB USB sticks, SATA DOMs, or small SSDs. That device (or those devices) will be overwritten. Data on any other devices will not be overwritten unless and until you create a pool on those devices. However, it won't be accessible to FreeNAS either.

So, the answer to the question you asked (i.e., can you install FreeNAS without losing your data) is "yes". The answer to the question I think you meant, though (i.e., can you install FreeNAS and use your existing data, without harming the data) is "no".

solarisguy

Guru
You can most certainly install FreeNAS without losing your data--FreeNAS installs to whatever device(s) you tell it to, which is(are) typically 8-16 GB USB sticks, SATA DOMs, or small SSDs. That device (or those devices) will be overwritten. Data on any other devices will not be overwritten unless and until you create a pool on those devices. However, it won't be accessible to FreeNAS either.

So, the answer to the question you asked (i.e., can you install FreeNAS without losing your data) is "yes". The answer to the question I think you meant, though (i.e., can you install FreeNAS and use your existing data, without harming the data) is "no".
@danb35, you had very nicely answered the problem he had formulated in the opening paragraph, while we skipped it and were answering his question from the second paragraph.

I somehow :D assumed that since it came later it was more relevant to his thoughts
Can I preserve the data without tediously copying it all somewhere else first and then copying it all back again?

RoadHazard

Explorer

Thanks for that. It's as I suspected, but you never know until you ask. Looks like I've got a looong backup job ahead of me.

solarisguy

Guru
Long? It depends. If larger files, you can probably get up to 100MB/s and be done in 24 hours (if you do it sequentially)

RoadHazard

Explorer
Honestly, you should have been backing up that data to begin with. Your server has no redundancy and is in production. That's just bad.
Granted, but until a few days ago it wasn't my system. As I said, I inherited it and am actively seeking to make it better, safer, and more reliable. Or at least, to understand how it *used to* work. ;-) Part I of that plan is to replace the existing FreeBSD install with FreeNAS. But Part 0 now seems to be backing up everything that's already on there before proceeding with Part I. Now, where am I going to put 10 TB of data for a few days...?

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Where are you located?

By the way, I think Walmart has a nice 15 day return policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.