How to use the second Ethernet port on the MBD-X10SL7-F-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasnice

Explorer
HI,

Ive done some reading up but cannot find a clear answer. Read some LACP discussions but the switch here does not support LACP... I have just a single subnet so what is the best way to configure the second ethernet port on this motherboard. I set it up with a fixed IP and put the alias to the first IP adress.... From the log it looks like Freenas does not like that....

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't. You have no use for that second port at this time.
Well, @DrKK has a guide on using a second NIC for failover. To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble in most cases, but it is something you can do.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, @DrKK has a guide on using a second NIC for failover. To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble in most cases, but it is something you can do.
It's nearly useless. *BUT*, I will say, it *did* make me feel better to use it for something. It thus has a cathartic, if not practical, value.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's nearly useless. *BUT*, I will say, it *did* make me feel better to use it for something. It thus has a cathartic, if not practical, value.
The main reason why I haven't done it yet is that my main switch is full.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The main reason why I haven't done it yet is that my main switch is full.
I sometimes go over to the switch, and pull the main ethernet cord during a big transfer. Just, you know, so that igb1 doesn't feel disenfranchised and shit. He gets a chance to spread his wings from time to time. Equality, and peace and love, for all.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I sometimes go over to the switch, and pull the main ethernet cord during a big transfer. Just, you know, so that igb1 doesn't feel disenfranchised and shit. He gets a chance to spread his wings from time to time. Equality, and peace and love, for all.
Call it "regular robustness testing".

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Status
Not open for further replies.