How to upgrade old syncthing plugin/jail?

sletrabf

Cadet
Dear all,
I am struggling with a problem I am not able to solve yet. I am not really above the level "can use a command line" regarding TrueNAS and I am new to the forum :)

Previously, I had set up a small fileserver on an old Laptop (Thinkpad T500) with FreeNAS that just runs an instance of a syncthing plugin (which I chose because I don't know how to do it "from scratch"). It worked until the laptop broke (mainboard). The latest version of FreeNAS was 11.3-something and I had also updated the syncthing plugin up to the version 11.3-RELEASE-p14.

I replaced the server with a ThinkCentre M600 tiny and installed TrueNAS Core on it. The current version is TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1. I connected the old hard drives to the new server and managed to have the jail/plugin running again.

The issue is that I would like to upgrade the jail to a recent version. However, if I run "update" from the GUI, it says "major ABI upgrade detected, run "upgrade"".
This does not work (see console output):

root@truenas[~]# iocage upgrade syncthing_wh -r 13.1-RELEASE Snapshotting syncthing_wh... Snapshot already exists Updating plugin INDEX... Updating plugin artifact... Cloning git repository Branch 13.1-RELEASE does not exist at https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-syncthing.git! Using "master" branch for plugin, this may not work with your RELEASE Host: 13.1-RELEASE is not greater than target: 13.2-RELEASE This is unsupported.

I tried to choose a smaller release but it is either not available or the upgrader doesn't take it as argument - it always tries to upgrade to 13.1-RELEASE.

How can I run an up-to-date Syncthing instance on my machine? If a migration is neccesary, I would like to keep the configuration (the data could be re-downloaded from the other peers if needed).

Thanks a lot in advance,
sletrabf

sletrabf

Cadet
I managed to resolve the issue as follows:
  1. I went on the console, ran "iocage fetch" and selected the desired target release, which is "13.2-RELEASE" in my case. Then, some files were downloaded and installed.
  2. For the third step to work, I had to deselect the jail from "Autostart at boot" (somehow, it was still up after I stopped it from the GUI, which made the upgrade hang without any console output).
  3. I ran iocage upgrade syncthing_wh -r 13.2-RELEASE. This took still a while but it seems to have been sucessful. The version of my syncthing jail is now 13.2-RELEASE-p10.
It seems to have been like a super newbie issue - sorry for opening a post for that - but I didn't know this and had to try out. Maybe this helps another newbie :)
Greetings,
sletrabf