How to translate Qnap permissions to Unix/Windows permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doman18

Dabbler
Im going to migrate company shares to FreeNAS device. Im testing FN on virtualbox machine and most of things are nice. But i have difficulty with figuring out how to recreate all folders permissions to standard unix permissions. Because you see, in Qnap there are three groups of user/group rights for each folder.
Read/Write group - all users with such rights can do anything with directory
Read group - self explanatory
Deny Acces group - those who can see or access folder

You can set those rights in three different panels.

Particular share panel
q_shares.jpg

Particular group panels
q_group.jpg

and particular user panel
q_user.jpg

After login with ssh you can see that all shares has 777 acces so i think Qnap is using "Sticky bit", SGID and SUID functionality to apply those rights.

So how to translate those rights to FreeNAS environment? How to recreate 3 groups of users when you have 2 groups + 1 user (owner)?
Remember that my boss is managing user rights, not me. I can teach him how UNIX rights work but i cant ask him to for example create some additional groups with different levels of rights for each folder he will want to share. Solution should be as strightforward as old and give the same results.

Last edited:

doman18

Dabbler
Well thanks. Some of those i already saw in official tutorial ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBszScnsRgY

... which lead me to thinking that the only way to translate Qnap permissions is to create additional group of users and attach them to directory in windows permissions tab. This is neither straightforward nor comfortable as each time you want to change permissions you have to go to explorer instead using admin panel.

Your videos just convinced me that sadly this is the only way to go. So each folder will have
- Owner - some admin user which has full access (All rights in windows tab)
- Owner group - group which has read write access but cant change permissions (all checkboxes except "All Rights")
- Read only group - users who can only see but cant do anything else

And somehow i will have to merge those groups with groups like OFFICE, DESIGNING ROOM, ACCOUNTANTS etc.

m0nkey_

MVP
Did you look at the advanced video? You can use Windows Explorer to fine tune permissions.

doman18

Dabbler
Yes, i did offcourse. You even did there what i described above - created for directory second group of read-only users.

Status
Not open for further replies.