Shared folder is reported read only by windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

choong

Dabbler
I'm running 9.3, volumes set to unix permission type. I have each dataset set to a group so that I can assign the multiple access rights to each user by assigning them to various groups. Everything is running fine except Windows Explorer is reporting the groups has read only. But in actual fact the user (who has the relevant group access) do have write access and can delete and write files into the folder.

Everything is fine until you try to open a word/excel file in that folder and it becomes read-only. The users can't save and overwrite the file and has to save it under a new name. Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my configuration? I only made 1 CIFS share for all the datasets (i.e. users can see the datasets but can't access them), or should I have made CIFS share for every dataset with different rights access?

m0nkey_

MVP
I'm putting my money on the file mask being used by CIFS. You could experiment by creating a new dataset and set the share type as 'Windows', setting the initial owner user/group and managing permissions from Windows explorer for multi-user shares.

choong

Dabbler
I think you are right on the money. I need to do some more testing, also need to figure out how to prevent users from modifying the rights from their windows machine

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The only supported permission type for CIFS shares is Windows. Anything else is unsupported and not likely to allow you to do anything (everything?) you want.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The only supported permission type for CIFS shares is Windows. Anything else is unsupported and not likely to allow you to do anything (everything?) you want.
+1

I've seen this before. The problem with excel file permissions is caused by having un-configured (or improperly configured) ACLs on your share because permissions type is set to "unix".

choong

Dabbler
i was hoping to use unix ACL so that I can configure my jails to access and limit what users can do from their windows machine. Anyway thanks guys for solving my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.