SOLVED How to Specify NIC for Replication

mroptman

Dabbler
Solution: Use link aggregation or separate subnets per interface. Multiple connections on the same subnet is not supported.

---

My environment is two TrueNAS Core 12.0 U8 systems that need to replicate snapshots between each other with a dedicated NIC. Currently SystemA and SystemB are using nic0 for replication but the intent is to use nic1 for replication.

Does anyone know how to configure replication tasks for a specific interface?

The documentation doesn't mentioned how to specify an interface to use.

SystemA:
nic0
nic1 <- want to use this for replication

SystemB:
nic0
nic1 <- want to use this for replication

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Assign and use IP addresses on those NICs that make your desired traffic use them. Pretty simple.
You need a separate network - you cannot have two NICs in the same net.

mroptman

Dabbler
Ah ok that makes more sense. I remember subnetting but have not tried it out yet. I may try to move SMB and NFS traffic to nic1 and let the replication keep nic0.

May need to break out and update my networking knowledge then. Appreciate your reply! :smile:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What are the IP addresses and subnet masks of your nic0 interfaces, respectively? And are the two systems placed close to each other so a direct connection is possible?

mroptman

Dabbler
SystemA:
Intel I350 1G (4-ports)
nic0 - 10.0.1.219
nic1 - 10.0.1.220

SystemB:
Broadcom BCM5720 1G (2-ports)
nic0 - 10.0.1.225
nic1 - 10.0.1.226

Yes the systems are physically close, about 1m apart. Currently all 4 connections are going into an 8-port UniFi switch. The goal is for replication to have a dedicated interface so SMB/NFS traffic is unencumbered on a separate line.

Ideally SMB/NFS would stay on the 255.255.255.0 subnet, but the replication NICs could be different. I am unsure if that configuration would be in UniFi with a vlan or something else.

Really appreciate your replies.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Multiple interfaces on the same subnet won't work here.

Set the nic1 interfaces to a different subnet that doesn't overlap with nic0 (even a completely different range, such as the 172.16.x.y private space) and optionally just connect them directly with each other if you don't plan to expand beyond two systems in the replication chain there.