How to setup link aggregation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
You are right. It's just weird how they disappear from everywhere. Even new are not easily found. I'll get one one day and I hope I see difference compared to my Intel EXPX9501FXSR. Actually I'll need to buy at least to chelsio's to play between them.

P.S. Let's all say "NO" to copper 10Gb.:D

It's really not that easy. I know ebay might be the best deals on used Chelsio T420 ,but when there isn't any on any on ebay , where man can buy one new ?

P.S. We can't only caount on ebay to get a Chelsio card , right ?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am hoping T520 is as good as fully supported on freenas 9.3. You have this card in your signature, I assume you are satisfied with it ?

Of course yours is not the cheaper SO model. I tried to read about the difference and it seems SO dosnt have memory and some offloading capabilities , which I don't know how important are. They say SO "is memory free", like been mercury free. It can't something better without memory ?!

Mlovelace

Guru
Thanks for the suggestion. I am hoping T520 is as good as fully supported on freenas 9.3. You have this card in your signature, I assume you are satisfied with it ?

Of course yours is not the cheaper SO model. I tried to read about the difference and it seems SO dosnt have memory and some offloading capabilities , which I don't know how important are. They say SO "is memory free", like been mercury free. It can't something better without memory ?!
I would suggest that if the SO modle is what's installed in trueNAS then they feel very confident about it. I didn't get that bit information till several months after having already purchased the more expensive card. If I had know before I had bought I would have saved the $500 and gone with the SO-CR version. As an aside, if the SO card isn't offloading some functions, like TOE, iSCSI, FCoE then it probably doesn't need the memory.

Edit: I didn't reply to the first part. I've had the card in production going on two years and it's been flawless. Very satisfied.

Last edited:
My first post. Don't kill me. The FreeNAS documentation states: "Before creating a link aggregation, double-check that no interfaces have been manually configured in Network ‣ Interfaces ‣ View Interfaces. If any configured interfaces exist, delete them as lagg creation will fail if any interfaces are manually configured."

So if you delete existing interfaces you lose connectivity to the NAS and cannot continue. What am I missing? I should state that I am simply experimenting with LACP.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
My first post. Don't kill me. The FreeNAS documentation states: "Before creating a link aggregation, double-check that no interfaces have been manually configured in Network ‣ Interfaces ‣ View Interfaces. If any configured interfaces exist, delete them as lagg creation will fail if any interfaces are manually configured."

So if you delete existing interfaces you lose connectivity to the NAS and cannot continue. What am I missing? I should state that I am simply experimenting with LACP.
Configure from the console, preferably your server would have IPMI. Otherwise with a monitor and keyboard attached.

Ok. I did figure this part out. I originally had an interface that was configured. I deleted the interface via the web console which lost my connectivity obviously. Now I have configured the link aggregation using the console and assigned it an ip address, however it is not working. When I ifconfig it still shows the first interface setup with the original IP address and I believe this is my problem. I've reset the network configuration several times and yet the IP sticks. I'm sure I'm missing something. Again, new to FreeBSD and I'm only testing. Nothing huge to worry about. I'll keep playing.

Ok I got it. For some reason the network configuration was stuck. I just restarted it at the console using:

/etc/rc.d/netif restart

Status
Not open for further replies.