Link Aggregation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstorzuk

Explorer
A little help here,

I have been able to make Link Aggregations on previous versions of FreeNas, but can't figure it out on version 8.0.

I have 2 interfaces.

em0
em1

em0 is set up with an IP address using IPv4.

em1 is not set up with any IP address.

When I go to Create a link aggregation, only em1 shows up as an available interface to choose to add to the LAGG.

What am I missing? How do I set up my two NIC's in a LAGG?

Also, as a side question, which is the better type of LAGG for faster speed transfers?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

tmacka88

Patron
I also am wondering the same thing? Anyone??

Whats best for speed, and to set up do u need one as an interface one as LAGG or do they both need to be in LAGG
thanks

Cosmin

Cadet
You should not configure ip on any interface before adding it to LAGG !

On my system after reboot it use dhcp to assign an ip automaticaly even if i don`t specify this in console menu - so i was able to configure LAGG from webpage.
If you can`t access it from other computer, you can always set LAGG via console.
First create the lagg interface and assign the interfaces to it and then assign an ip to new lagg interface.

As for best mode:
I understand that using LACP you must have a switch that knows LACP and use 2 network cables in the other computer.
Loadbalancing it will only be faster than a single nic when you use it with multiple connections (e.g. 2 simultaneous file transfer), but you can use any switch.
Beware that LAGG does not work well with jumboframes enabled and it will increase CPU usage.

tmacka88

Patron
what are some switches that support LACP?

Status
Not open for further replies.