How to set up interfaces for SMB3.0 Multichannel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows7ge

Contributor
Not me, like I said never had much success with it outside Windows, and lost interest once I upgraded to 10GbE.
In the event that you're any bit interested to know I was able to get it working with some help from a user on another forum. I will have you know you actually provided some VERY key information to get it working. As it would appear multichannel on SAMBA is disabled by default and you need the
server multi channel support = yes
entry in order to enable it. The aio read/write entries don't appear to be needed so they're enabled by default (at least on FreeNAS)

If you're wondering what the key information was that was missing, although Windows will let you just plug in the cables and it all works using IP addresses all on the same network it isn't the same on FreeNAS. On FreeNAS the 2 or 4 interfaces need to be set up on different networks or subnets (same for the windows client). The reason this wasn't working for me when I tried it was because I hadn't put in the multi channel support = yes entry.

Windows7ge

Contributor
Were you able to find a howto?
What do the Samba folks say you need for this? Maybe we can help from there.
I got it to work with the help from people in this comunity and help from another forum. Seeing as how poorly documented it is anywhere on how to set this up and get it working (In 24hrs after posting this thread it made the first page of google when searching "smb3.0 multichannel") what are your opinions on the idea of me making and posting a how to guide here on this forum? I will clearly state that the function of this protocol on SAMBA is still considered experimental and that people's mileage will vary but I think it could help some people who want to attempt the same thing.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
what are your opinions on the idea of me making and posting a how to guide here on this forum?
Awesome idea. All documentation is welcome, especially if it's documenting the unknown.

Just post it on the resources section and PM me if you have any questions or need help.

MikhailCompo

Cadet
In Windows there's nothing to configure, you just connect multiple NICs to the same switch/router, each will get a different IP and you're good to go.

That works for DHCP, but if configuring the IP settings manually, you receive a warning message if multiple NICs use the same gateway. To avoid that, I simply set an IP and subnet mask for all adapters apart from one 'main' adapter the device uses for all other protocols than SMB3.

Works fine, and I see all adapters utilised for file transfers.

So in other words, all that is required is IP and subnet mask.

Not sure if this helps with FN?.....

Windows7ge

Contributor
Not sure if this helps with FN?.....
Unfortunately as far as I was able to test FreeNAS does not allow multiple network adapters on the same network. Windows does. Which means each link in the bundle needs an independent network which for P2P using a /30 subnet is perfect for the application.

Hey guys
Glad to see you guys have seemed to get smb 3 working but i cant
So here is my setup

Freenas server with 6 x 1gb ports
Dell managed switch
4 windows pc clients

So my router is also plugged in to my switch to share internet to all the pc's

So the issue im having is that from the 4 only one pc needs higher data speed to the freenas server via smb 3 and it has 2 x 1gb ports, the rest are fine with 1 gbs connection

The current dhcp range given by the router is 192.168.100.x /24

Currently i have link aggregated (lacp) all the 6 ports and pluged it into the switch for all the pcs to access it via ip 192.168.100.110
But the speed distribution is very poor

Now how to setup the nic on freenas that my 3 pcs get 1gb speed each and the 4th one get 2gbs speed via 2 connections and gets the shared internet aswell

And yeah im a noob in networking

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Currently i have link aggregated (lacp) all the 6 ports and pluged it into the switch for all the pcs to access it via IP 192.168.100.110
But the speed distribution is very poor
Undo that thing and read the guide. It specifically tells you to place the extra NICs in different subnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.