SOLVED Setting up 1:n SMB multichannel

soft_reset

Dabbler
Good evening,

I would like to configure SMB Multichannel between one big 10Gbit/s nic in FreeNAS 11.2 and several 1Gbit/s nics on a Windows 10 machine.
From reading the guide I know that I would need a subnet per channel, so for example 4 subnets if I had 4x 1Gbit in each machine.

Could someone tell me how I would assign multiple IPs to my 10Gbit/s nic, so that I can use it in multiple subnets?
Does it even work that way, or am I misunderstanding something and this type of multichannel won't work with 1:n connections?

As for relevant hardware, I am using a Mellanox ConnectX3 in the FreeNAS 11.2 system, and several Intel PRO/1000 PT cards in the Windows 10 system.
They connect to a Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM.

Thank you for your time!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No need for the subnets just set the multichannel setting in the samba configuration and restart the service. Connect and you are off to the races.

Is there a reason for multiple subnets?

soft_reset

Dabbler
Thank you for the replies, I didn't realize I could just add the alias in the GUI under network/interfaces/add additional ipv4 alias. I got it to work now

soft_reset

Dabbler
As a followup, I now tried this with a virtualized FreeNAS under ESXi and could not get it to work anymore. Does anyone have experience on how to set it up in ESXi? Does it need additional config, or did something else break?

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
1st question is : it's work on bare metal at 1st try ??

is not recomanded to run FreeNAS on ESXI for production

your FN NIC card in ESXI is passtrough or on virtual ??

more info, if you want to someone to help you

succes

dpskipper

Dabbler
As a followup, I now tried this with a virtualized FreeNAS under ESXi and could not get it to work any more. Does anyone have experience on how to set it up in ESXi? Does it need additional config, or did something else break?
You may need to add several vNICs to one port group for the VM. You also may need to enable promiscuous mode in each NIC. Probably too much hassle. It might be easier to let ESXi do the link aggregation and just give freenas 1 10gig vurtual NIC and let ESXI do the rest.

soft_reset

Dabbler
... it turns out that I didn't write the SMB parameter correctly. With a regular vmx3 nic attached to the VM and a 10Gbit/s link for the ESXi itself, making aliases in different subnets is working fine just like in a bare metal installation.
Thank you all again for your help.

In case anyone from the future needs the command, put it in the SMB auxilary parameters under services:
server multi channel support = yes