How to migrate data from ext4 to zfs hdd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmflint

Dabbler
I am setting up a new Freenas file server and need to migrate data from a 1TB internal HDD which is formatted in ext4 to a new (blank) 4TB ZFS volume. Is it possible to copy my existing data files into this new volume running Freenas?

The existing data files where previously created/stored on my old Ubuntu machine which is now dead. I was hoping to install the old 1TB HDD in my new Freenas box and do a direct copy to the new ZFS volume within Freenas.

Yatti420

Wizard

rmflint

Dabbler
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. After reading the Freenas doc referenced by Yatti it appears I need to first migrate my ext4 data to ext2 formatted drive. Is this correct? If so, can anyone out there recommend the tried and true method to do this?

toadman

Guru
Pretty sure you can't convert ext4 back to ext2 in linux. But ext2fs in BSD is not the same as ext2 in linux. https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ext2fs

You sure you can't import ext4? (I don't know, I just know BSD can import more than just ext2.) Did you try it? I have not idea what is supported by FreeNAS in the version you are running.

krikboh

Patron
Ext4 support is being reviewed as a possible upcoming feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ext4 support is being reviewed as a possible upcoming feature.

Sorry, I just have to LOL at this sentence. If support would be added, it would be added to FreeBSD before it would be added to FreeNAS. The FreeNAS dev team would never tackle a project like that. And, as far as I can find, ext4 support isn't being actively developed. So by "upcoming" you must mean 'might be added someday.. it's at the bottom of the to-do list'.

krikboh

Patron
Sorry, I just have to LOL at this sentence. If support would be added, it would be added to FreeBSD before it would be added to FreeNAS. The FreeNAS dev team would never tackle a project like that. And, as far as I can find, ext4 support isn't being actively developed. So by "upcoming" you must mean 'might be added someday.. it's at the bottom of the to-do list'.

That is all I meant. I noticed you had submitted a Feature request for ntfs and ext4 to be supported in read-only mode and I see no news of FreeBSD development of ext4 support.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. I did put the request in. It's nice to have a list of "wanna haves" that might be fulfilled someday.

Yatti420

Wizard
I should probably amend my first post.. If your drive doesn't have one of the "supported" file systems just use a plain old copy command!..

Status
Not open for further replies.