How to make use of apt mirror for package updates

djaoifj92i90

Dabbler
I plan to use one installation of SCALE for each family member.

We only have little internet bandwidth so I want to save as much data transfer as possible so I am running an apt cache.

I have read that SCALE is an appliance solution built on top of debian - did I get that right that changing the apt.conf.d/ files and putting an `Acquire::http::proxy` setting there will have no effect?

How can I obtain OS updates through my apt-cacher?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I plan to use one installation of SCALE for each family member.
Why on Earth? I can't imagine a scenario where that is advantageous in any way.
I have read that SCALE is an appliance solution built on top of debian
The keyword here is "appliance". Apt plays no role whatsoever outside the build environment. In fact, apt will soon be more aggressively disabled than it already is, because the devs have clearly dealt with one too many case of users installing or updating things and then complaining their system broke.
Updates are distributed exclusively as new versions, you can manually download an update file and provide it to the system, instead of having the system go get it over the internet.

djaoifj92i90

Dabbler
Why on Earth? I can't imagine a scenario where that is advantageous in any way.
I want to give them the possibility to administer their instance with full root access if they want. But I don't want them to break my personal file server when they make a mistake
The keyword here is "appliance". Apt plays no role whatsoever outside the build environment. In fact, apt will soon be more aggressively disabled than it already is, because the devs have clearly dealt with one too many case of users installing or updating things and then complaining their system broke.
Updates are distributed exclusively as new versions, you can manually download an update file and provide it to the system, instead of having the system go get it over the internet.
OK, I will have a look at that. Is there a part in the documentation where I can see how to specify the update download path? Could I also maybe use a caching HTTP proxy for that?

Thank

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there a part in the documentation where I can see how to specify the update download path?
I don't know, there's a big "Manual Update" button in the update menu. You can upload a file or choose a semi-arbitrary path on your server.
Could I also maybe use a caching HTTP proxy for that?
Since downloads are served over HTTPS, it's not super practical.