TrueNAS Scale unable to boot when integrated GPU is additionally enabled

bingsoo

Cadet
TLDR: Why won't TrueNAS Scale boot when initial display output is set to PCIe Slot 1 (i.e. discrete GPU, dGPU) and Integrated Graphics (iGPU) is enabled?

[Configurations in the order they were attempted.]
PCIe slot 1Initial Display OutputIntegrated GraphicsBoots?GPUs detected
NoneUHD Graphics 630AutoYesUHD Graphics 630
Quadro P2000Quadro P2000Auto [Probably automatically Disabled]YesOnly Quadro P2000
Quadro P2000Quadro P2000EnabledNo [WHY?]NA
Quadro P2000UHD Graphics 630AutoYesUHD Graphics 630 & P2000

Motherboard: Gigabyte C246M-WU4
CPU: Intel i3-9100 (with UHD Graphics 630)
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000

I would like to enable both UHD Graphics 630 and Quadro P2000 in my TrueNAS Scale instance. I noticed, when Quadro P2000 was first inserted, that I wasn't able to detect both GPUs in my system. I understood, from further reading, that the BIOS typically disables the iGPU when a dGPU is inserted to save memory. Because I still wanted to use them both, I went into the BIOS to force-enable the iGPU. This however resulted in Scale not booting. It wouldn't proceed past enabling the iGPU (see photo).

i915-stuck.png

I wasn't sure if Scale would accept two GPUs. As a last-ditch attempt, I left the dGPU insert and forced the initial display to the iGPU. Scale was able to boot up and the system was able to detect both GPUs. This is good and probably all I need, but the question remains: why wouldn't Scale boot when the initial display was set to the dGPU while iGPU was still enabled?

Perhaps an aside, but relevant:

The Quadro P2000 wasn't able to perform transcoding when it was first installed, so I broke a rule and installed its drivers using apt.

Code:
sudo apt install nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver

However, that installation, at the end, complained about initramfs not being present. Nevertheless, the installation completed successfully, I was able to reboot Scale with no issues, and I was eventually able to use NVENC for transcoding. Because Scale is an appliance and not a full-fledged Debian OS, I am very worried that this broke something.

Could it have caused the issue above?

In general, what is the consequence of a package installation not having access to initramfs?

Last edited: