How to create two new 'volumes' on two new disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9nu

Cadet
Hello

I upgraded from 8.3.2 to 9.1.1 and have no problems as of yet. I have the following physical drives being used for storage:

drive_0
drive_1
drive_2
drive_3

They are NOT linked together/RAID'ed/combined, etc. in anyway. Each is a separate unit so to speak.

Now my questions are related to adding an additional two (2) 1TB SATA-3 drives as standalone drives like the ones I have above. I have tried using the ZFS Volume Manager to create each one individually, however, I cannot seem to find an option to initialize each one separately. I am presented with extending a current drive (which I didn't choose) as well as options to create a Log, Mirror/Stripe, Cache or Spare system. Am I going about this the wrong way? Would it be better/wiser to just create the 'software type' mirror or stripe array using the two new hard drives? These two new drives are SATA-3 where as the other 4 drives above are SATA-2.

Those 4 drives above are connected via an Adaptec 1430SA (SATA-2) PCI-E RAID controller via a JBOD type setup.

Would the two new SATA-3 drives in RAID-0/1 via the SATA-2 Adaptec controller outperform the drives in software RAID via FreeNAS when connected to the on-board SATA-3 ports?

Perhaps I am making this into a bigger issue than needed. I just don't want to loose any of the data on those original 4 drives. If I could get the two new drives setup as individual disks, then I would copy all the data off the older drives and just stick with the two new ones.

Anyways...tnx for any help or ideas....

Tim
N9NU

P.S. Should I be doing anything with the ZFS Snapshot/Replication options...lol...as in using them? I have never setup any of those options. I am assuming they are for backup purposes.

D

dlavigne

Any particular reason you're not interested in redundancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.