SOLVED How to change default storage location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenoBeno

Cadet
Note: I'm sorry, but this is not a complete sollution yet (I don't see a possiility to change the label back to "question").
---------------------------------------
Hi folks,

I'm fine with linux, but pretty new to FreeNAS. Have been testing it for a while, and managed to set things up quite the way I want them. Now I just want to move everythign I've done so far to a set of new 2 mirrored WD red drives. The problem:

• The test drive is known as "test" to ZFS manager
  • The production volume shoudl be called NAS or tank or such - naming it "test" is kind of misleading. :)
Re-mounting the storage used by jails is easy, but FreeNAS actually uses the absolute path for some functions. User accounts and /mnt/test/.samba4/ come to mind. What else?

I guess I can change the home directories for the users per hand (just 4 users), but I have no clue how the samba is finding the /mnt/test/.samba4/ directory. Aha, it seems I answered my question, it's in /etc/local/collectd.conf

Code:
grep -r "/mnt/test" /etc/ 

is my friend. :)

------------------ UPDATE ----------
I misunderstood the zfs datasets with directories. I'm not sure what they are, but they behave more like fileystems (i can't access my test machine now, but I believe they appear in the mount list) and symply rsyncing from pld disk to the new one will not reproduce the datasets.
Re-creating the datasets per hand may be an option, but it's a lot of work and I'm not sure if the .samba4 is a zfs dataset or just a directory.

In the meantime I've discovered this guide:

If the "shadow" migration works on FreeNAS, great. If not, the easiest way to do the migration could be:
  1. save the current configuration,
  2. re-install the system with new disks,
  3. import old volume
  4. rsync the data to new volume
  5. merge in the old configuration data (just changing the paths where needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.