how to backup server in zvol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayush

Cadet
I have backed up a share point windows server 2008 r2 on freenas through windows backup feature in a remote folder which is located on freenas server. I have created zvol and configured iscsi device extent.
How do I mount the server on iscsi ? The format of the backup server is .vhd. I am not sure how it works? Do I copy the .vhd file to the new hard disk (created after i connect to the target through the iscsi initiator)?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are you trying to mount the iscsi device on your Windows Server? I'm confused...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm not really sure what is being asked here. I have an idea but will save my answer for when the OP can provide some actual details

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ayush

Cadet
I am sorry for the ambiguity. I had so many questions that I mixed everything up. Yes I am trying to mount the ISCSI device on the Windows Server. I used the ISCSI initiator to set up the new volume (i.e. zvol which I created on FreeNAS 40GB). And I have the .vhd file ( backed up windows server) in the new volume (which I named FreeNAS). So how does the mount work? Do the server team just access the .vhd file or do I need to do configure something else as well?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Let me get this straight because you are still a little confusing here.

You created a zvol, created the iscsi device, connected to a windows server, made a vhd backup, and now what are you trying to do? Restore the backup to a different machine or the same one? Are you connected to the iscsi device still?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ayush

Cadet
I am trying to restore backup in the same server if it went down (Right now the server is working fine but I need to restore if the server goes down) and I am still connected to the ISCSI device. This is my class project and I am in class right now. IF you can add anything besides my question for clarity that would be helpful because I am confused as well

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A vhd file is just a file. Restoring from that file is dependent on the system used to back it up and the system intended to use to restore. This has nothing to do with freenas whatsoever.

Sent from my Nexus 5

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So what is the use of ISCSI device extent ?

I don't really understand what you are asking.

once you are connected to your FreeNAS box, it is just storage at that point. iSCSI has nothing to do with backups or restores for a windows server. It is merely presented as a block level device to the server that connects to the iscsi on your FreeNAS.

I think you should spend some time reading the documentation and understanding what iSCSI is typically used for, as it seems to me that you are confused on the terminology. A .vhd file is a file. Doesn't matter where it is located, its just a file (considered a VirtualHardDrive) it is mountable in windows. iSCSI is irrelevant here aside from thats how you happen to be connected to your FreeNAS box.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/ISCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.