How to add a Zeroconf proxy entry on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm running FreeNAS 9.3-Stable with a jail on a home network. The network doesn't have a DNS server and I don't want to keep hosts files up-to-date (if that's even possible on mobile devices). So, I'd like to use zeroconf to register the jail.

Now, I can install Bonjour or Avahi on the jail and it will work, but that feels like a bit of overkill since the my FreeNAS server knows about the jail and can create a proxy record itself.

I can use mDNSProxyResponder to register it manually on the command-line, but I have to remember to do this whenever I restart the system. Yet, I know that Samba, SSH, and others services get registered as they are switched on and off (I can see this in Bonjour Browser), so I figure there must be a file that is read somewhere and HUP'd. I've tried grep'ing through different configuration files, but didn't find anything that immediately stood out.

So, is there a place where Bonjour reads its configuration and can admins edit it to add proxys? I don't mind if it's on the command-line as I'm comfortable doing changes there. If there's nothing I can create a script for startup that runs DNSProxyResoponder, but it just feels like there's another place where this might be handled.

D

dlavigne

This would make an interesting feature request. If you create one at bugs.freenas.org, post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.