Feature request - Avahi / Zeroconf - NFS

Ed Hornsey

Dabbler
Zeroconf works fine for SMB shares in RC1 Cobia. However for NFS shares, there doesn't seem to be any automatic enablement. Is this correct behaviour (same was true for Beta 1).

I can manually create a NFS.service in /etc/avahi/services - But with the downside that the manual configuration will be removed upon reboot.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Zeroconf works fine for SMB shares in RC1 Cobia. However for NFS shares, there doesn't seem to be any automatic enablement. Is this correct behaviour (same was true for Beta 1).

I can manually create a NFS.service in /etc/avahi/services - But with the downside that the manual configuration will be removed upon reboot.
What NFS client uses the NFS advertisement? IIRC there didn't appear to be any documented usage of it in Windows or MacOS. Generally with NFS people want something more reliable than mDNS for finding exports. I don't mind adding an SRV record for exports / server, but there'd have to be a clear use-case.

Ed Hornsey

Dabbler
Hi,

From Kodi website:
The Kodi ZeroConf browser supports TXT records (see the official DNS-SD ServiceTypes under "Defined TXT keys"), which Avahi can include with each service announcement and may contain the configuration details needed for clients to access them. Specifically, Kodi can parse the path (URL), u (Username) and p (Password) keys, and if those details are sufficient to connect to a service, it should be displayed in the File Browser automatically the first time Kodi runs.

A quick google didn't find anything specific for Fedora other than: mDNS setup