How much testing goes into these almost daily FreeNAS updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
That is far from true. Beforehand we would all test the future release

I see now. I assumed those same testers (or is it testes?) were on a different train where these updates are applied first. Then after a time, the updates get trickled down to the stable train. I thought that was the whole point of different trains. If the updates are not being tested..........wow.

joeschmuck

Old Man
But I expect the problems themselves to be relatively minor in comparison to the hellfire and brimstone we saw when FreeNAS 9.2.1 came out.
Crossing my fingers.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I see now. I assumed those same testers (or is it testes?) were on a different train where these updates are applied first. Then after a time, the updates get trickled down to the stable train. I thought that was the whole point of different trains. If the updates are not being tested..........wow.
Well yes and no. There is a Nightly train which changes daily and sometimes many times in a day and that is the same as it's always been since it was introduced, however there is no Beta train right now. The difference is in a Beta version the software doesn't change for a week or so once it's released to the testers so the bugs could be worked out, then another Beta will come out to verify those bugs were fixed. Daily changes are great for fast development but not for Beta testing in my opinon.

zambanini

Patron
I would prefer "more" real in between versions like 9.3.1 so that there is at least a feature freeze. right now

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Feature Freezes happen when still in beta. There are excpetions, and those are decided by Jordan based on "how important" and "how much risk is involved" and "how intrusive".

Status
Not open for further replies.