How much testing goes into these almost daily FreeNAS updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
With the new way iXsystems is rolling out updates I am curious how much testing is actually done on these updates before they roll out the door. In the past these updates would have been tested by many people as betas and then the change would roll out the door. I'm not saying iXsystems is doing anything wrong, I am just trying to understand the process.

D

dlavigne

It depends which train you're following. If you're following NIGHTLIES, testing is still in progress, so buyer beware and if you find a bug, make sure it's reported. If you're following STABLE, testing has occurred internally, and depending upon the bug ticket, has also been confirmed by at least the person who had experienced the original problem, as well as those who test NIGHTLIES.

Mlovelace

Guru
With the new way iXsystems is rolling out updates I am curious how much testing is actually done on these updates before they roll out the door. In the past these updates would have been tested by many people as betas and then the change would roll out the door. I'm not saying iXsystems is doing anything wrong, I am just trying to understand the process.
Feeling like your freeNAS box turned into a windows server with the daily updates? :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think your question is very valid. Back when it was announced there would be automated upgrading via the WebGUI several people said that it gave iX a chance to do less testing before rolling out. I was involved with the testing and we definitely had more testing with 9.3-betas than we ever had with prior RCs and such.

All that being said, I've gotten quite a few PMs, emails, phone calls, etc asking what the story is with all the updates in the same type of thoughts as the original post. Quite a few people aren't going to 9.3 because they aren't convinced that things won't go horribly wrong. They don't expect them too, but after seeing how many updates have been pushed (and how many bugs have been closed) they don't have confidence in 9.3. Some have decided to stay on 9.2.1.9 until a security patch is pushed that really warrants their attention to upgrade because they consider 9.3 to be a moving target.

mjws00

Guru
Honestly. I even punched out of testing it for now. Every update seems to produce a string of user problems. I've hit enough middleware errors and tracebacks that it isn't even useful as a test platform. Mostly with import, auto-import volume manager junk.

Feels to me like the fallout from a shift to GPT, and single device zfs boot pools isn't over. It doesn't really affect me, but colors my confidence. STABLE just doesn't feel safe yet and I was very early on the beta.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It depends which train you're following. If you're following NIGHTLIES, testing is still in progress, so buyer beware and if you find a bug, make sure it's reported. If you're following STABLE, testing has occurred internally, and depending upon the bug ticket, has also been confirmed by at least the person who had experienced the original problem, as well as those who test NIGHTLIES.
Thanks. I should have mentioned 9.3 Stable as that is what my main FreeNAS system is running. I'm not into the Nightlies yet, waiting on FreeNAS 10 to become usable and then I'll be testing that one using nightly updates as they become available on my test rig and when it becomes a Beta, then I'll give it a shot on my main system to ensure it's even going to run without any significant issue.

My concern is the inadvertent destruction of someones data. But I will say that making smaller update corrections has got to be much easier on the developer team.

So is the 9.3 nightlies effectively the Beta testing? How is that communicated to the testers in the community?

Feeling like your freeNAS box turned into a windows server with the daily updates? :(
Naw, MS pushes updates once a month to keep up with the security hacks and you only see the bulk of real bug fixes when the product is initially launched.

I think your question is very valid. Back when it was announced there would be automated upgrading via the WebGUI several people said that it gave iX a chance to do less testing before rolling out. I was involved with the testing and we definitely had more testing with 9.3-betas than we ever had with prior RCs and such.

All that being said, I've gotten quite a few PMs, emails, phone calls, etc asking what the story is with all the updates in the same type of thoughts as the original post. Quite a few people aren't going to 9.3 because they aren't convinced that things won't go horribly wrong. They don't expect them too, but after seeing how many updates have been pushed (and how many bugs have been closed) they don't have confidence in 9.3. Some have decided to stay on 9.2.1.9 until a security patch is pushed that really warrants their attention to upgrade because they consider 9.3 to be a moving target.

I agree, I do have less confidence in the product simply because I'm certain there is less testing going on. There is a large variety of hardware platforms out there and iXsystems is using only what they have available. If we all had the same hardware then I'd actually feel better. And I'm not talking about the difference between Intel and AMD, there are various motherboards, BIOS versions, SAS cards, and different CPUs. I know the developers would never do anything to intentionally cause damage but it's difficult to test for that if there isn't sufficient beta testing.

I'm sure this will jump to the top the minute an update is pushed and catastrophe hits too many users. Lets be honest, FreeNAS users are the beta testers for the paying TrueNAS users. I understand it and accept it.

On a positive note, FreeNAS 9.3 had a few issues with Grub but otherwise it's been running very well for me.

Mlovelace

Guru
I upgraded the OS to 9.3-stable but with the almost daily updates, I am hesitant to upgrade my pool. I'm going to keep the option of rolling back to 9.2.1.9 for now.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have not upgraded my pool. Honestly I see no reason to do it and I will retain the ability to move back to 9.2.1.9 if I need to, although I don't really see that happening for me. My requirements are simple so I don't do a lot with my system like may others will do.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
It seems like the updates are very minor. No need to wait for a pile before you release an update. I like this new updating system. Hold off on the updates for a time if it makes you feel better. But who's to say the other bug fixes ever got tested anyway? LOL

madik

Explorer
The very often updates makes me under the impression that FreeNAS went into rolling release distribution. I dont mind personally because the new updating system is so smooth and easy.
Anyway I wonder whether there will be different trains in the future when the FreeNAS 10 will come out in the stable branch. Will be there an option to stay on stable release 9.3 train that will be still updated for a some time or everything will just move to 10?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Meh. With the new boot rollback option it's not that big of a deal for someone like me (typical home user). If an update breaks something, roll back and wait for the fix and try again.

zambanini

Patron
some days ago samba has been updated in 9.3. when you recall the problems with 9.2.x it feels like omg....stop that.
every update gives me a bad feeling. with 9.2.x you knew which problems were around. now every setup and update is a little surprise. not exactly that one I want to recommend.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
But the flip side to that is each previous incremental release also came with it's own problems and it took a lot longer for those problems to be fixed. At least now they can be addressed quickly with the patch system in place.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. Only thing that has changed is the way the updates are applied and the way they are numbered. Only thing I can think of, is people don't like to apply a bug here or a bug there. They would rather apply more at once? Or is iXsystems too efficient at bug fixes? If you like your current version of FreeNAS, you can keep it.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm happy with the updates as long as we don't experience too many regressions. I figure we are still having the dust settle after the 9.3 release, and probably in another month or so things will slow down. That being said I anticipate a certain amount of chaos and rapid bug fixes when samba 4.2 is released. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm definitely expecting Samba 4.2 to cause some chaos. ;)

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I think it is already going to physical therapy for an ACL injury.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. Only thing that has changed is the way the updates are applied and the way they are numbered.
That is far from true. Beforehand we would all test the future release (iXsysems and the community) and we would give feedback on any unintended issues which were induced by the "fixes". I'm not saying iXsystems is doing a bad job but I guess I was use to seeing the testing in the real world being done before a release was pushed.

I'm definitely expecting Samba 4.2 to cause some chaos. ;)
I will definitely not be doing that upgrade until it's been proven to work flawlessly. The last Samba update took a long time to work out all the bugs after it was Released.

gpsguy

Has anyone tested the “Create backup” and “Restore from a backup” (even in a VM) that was added recently? I could see where it might offer value for some of the users we support on the forum.

It wasn't in my documentation PDF generated on 1/18 but was there on 2/5. I hadn't heard anthing about it, until jkh mentioned it in another thread this week.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@joeschmuck

I don't expect the nightmares we had when going from 3.x to 4.x, but going from 4.1.x to 4.2 is definitely going to cause some problems. I'll definitely be doing some tests on my Mini before I go putting it on my main server. But I expect the problems themselves to be relatively minor in comparison to the hellfire and brimstone we saw when FreeNAS 9.2.1 came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.