How long to upgrade from 8.0.1 RC1 to 8.0.1 RC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogs_

Dabbler
Hi,

I tried to run the upgrade (non-cd) last night and it sat at waiting for about 15 -20 minutes before I tried a reboot - much longer than the RC1 install took. After the reboot I was still on RC1. Can anyone advise how long your upgrade took?

Many thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
It can take about 15 minutes with some flash devices. Did you force the reboot or wait for it to finish?

nogs_

Dabbler
Hi protosd, thanks for replying.

I forced the reboot. I guess I was thinking that if installation takes under 5 minutes then an upgrade would not take much longer. I had only recently installed RC1 and there was no data stored in the raidz volume except for the update software.

nogs_

Dabbler
Just tried again and left it for over an hour but it did not progress beyond the wait screen. Might have to try the full install.

nogs_

Dabbler
No. I have it about a basic as it could be. No snapshot, no cron jobs or scripts, still using dhcp.

Durkatlon

Patron
Hmm, odd. Well I upgraded from BETA4 to RC2 yesterday and it did take a long time. It also involves two automatic reboots. I was doing it remotely so I just waited until my SNMP monitor started reporting uptime on the machine again. The whole time I'm trying not to get nervous that something killed the box during upgrade :D. I'm guessing the entire thing took about 15 to 20 minutes, maybe?

Erwin

Dabbler
I observed the same issue as I tried to upgrade from RC1 -> RC2. Freenas created a directory on the given location, assigned a link to it and the nothing happened. No upload of the file to this location through the browser for more than 30 minutes. I tried IE and Firefox, with the same result. Finally I saved my config, wrote the new version from scratch to the USB stick with Physdiskwrite, booted the new build USB stick and loaded the save config. This took about 15 minutes and works well.

nogs_

Dabbler
Glad to hear Erwin. I think I will take the same route. Thanks all for your replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Just as a reference point, upgrading on USB1.1 based systems will take closer to a half an HOUR. This makes sense, if you think about 800KB/sec and 1GB of data... that assumes flash that can write out that fast of course. If you've got slow flash, it really could take an hour.

G

gcooper

In short: depends on how quickly it takes to move the image to the NAS box, the load it's under at the time, and the media / USB controller you use.

At least it's shorter than a NexentaStor install (took 2 hours on some fast bare metal we tested it out with) :P..

nogs_

Dabbler
Last night I tried to run the upgrade from 8.0.1.RC2 to 8.0.1 release via the GUI and had the same issue. Let it run for 4 hours but did not get past wait.

G

gcooper

Please provide the following info:

- Your [flash] media (size, type).
- How do you connect your media (via a USB Host port, USB Hub, external card reader, monitor, etc)?
- Have you tried other flash drives, compact flash, etc?
- Have you tried your media in other OSes?
- What's your uplink speed from your machine to the NAS box?

nogs_

Dabbler
Sorry for the delay in replying

It is a 4G Verbatim Flash drive connected via an internal USB port.
No, I have not tried any other flash media
I installed and ran Ubuntu server on this media for a couple of weeks and it worked fine. It is a cheap usb drive but I have not had any speed issues installing to this drive. The initial install of Freenas 8 release and the install of 8.0.1 RC2 took a little under 5 minutes each, so not fast but not super slow.
I am connecting the the server 802.11n wireless. Not the fastest I know but fast enough I would have thought.

Last night I tried to upgrade from 8.0.1.RC2 to 8.0.1 Release letting it run overnight (about 8 hrs) but again, did not work. This time i turned on the console view in the gui (I am running freenas headless) and saw this from when I kicked off the upgrade.

Oct 8 23:54:46 fatso freenas[1671]: Executing: /bin/rm -rf /var/tmp/firmware
Oct 8 23:54:46 fatso freenas[1671]: Executing: /bin/mkdir -p /mnt/fatso/.freenas
Oct 8 23:54:46 fatso freenas[1671]: Executing: /usr/sbin/chown www:www /mnt/fatso/.freenas
Oct 8 23:54:46 fatso freenas[1671]: Executing: /bin/ln -s /mnt/fatso/.freenas /var/tmp/firmware
Oct 8 23:55:01 fatso freenas[2272]: Popen()ing: zpool list -H -o health fatso
... and more of this last line until morning.

I am running an HP Proliant Microserver which as an AMD Athlon II Neo N36L 1.3 GHz, 8g ram, 4x2T drives.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.