How does TrueNAS remote encryption (rclone) actually works?

edm7

Cadet
Hi,

I'll use the TrueNAS "Cloud Sync Tasks" function to send a copy (PUSH) of my dataset to a data storage cloud service (Backblaze), enabling the "Remote Encryption" option offered by TrueNAS during that transfer.
TrueNAS says that in PUSH direction my files will be encrypted before the transfer, and in the reverse direction (PULL) it will be decrypted on the remote system before the transfer.
As TrueNAS use rclone for it, when consulting the oficial rclone documentation it says that it will automatically encrypt (before uploading) and decrypt (after downloading) the data on my local system (e.g. TrueNAS) as needed on the fly.
Since both of these information were obtained from official source, which one is correct?

Sources consuled
TrueNAS system configuration (rclone.jpg)
https://rclone.org/crypt/ (TrueNAS.jpg)

Attachments

• rclone.jpg
    rclone.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 406
  • TrueNAS.jpg
    TrueNAS.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 407
TrueNAS' wording is a bit ambigious. It means that the files will be decrypted coming from the remote side before being written to your local TrueNAS storage. The files are stored plain on your local TrueNAS dataset, with the exception if you're using native ZFS encryption. (Rclone is agnostic to ZFS encryption.)

The files remain encrypted on the remote cloud storage, such as with Backblaze.

Last edited: