How do users work.

MarkusH

Dabbler
I am new to the TrueNas and NAS software in general. I have a question regarding users, what exactly is a user and where is user used? So I have discovered that only the root account can access the web interface, so therefore they must be used in some kind of share like SMB? So what Im wondering is when im setting up the user password and everything, the password is for the windows login when Im adding the map network drive right (SMB)? I created a dataset, and I can see that I can change the permissions of users, which is understandable but some of the permissions I can toggle are confusing such as delete child, synchronize, write; view ACL, how would one utilize these permissions without having access to the web interface? Where in windows share could you use this permissions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 85

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can toggle are confusing such as delete child, synchronize, write; view ACL, how would one utilize these permissions without having access to the web interface? Where in windows share could you use this permissions?
Right-click the shared folder or sub-folder, properties | Security... edit things there if you are granted the rights.

what exactly is a user and where is user used?
A user is specific to the Linux/Unix OS it's created on, but has a UID (a number) which is used also to allow matching between systems if that's desired.

Users can login to services on the system such as SSH or SMB shares (if the shares are so configured), FTP... maybe some other stuff.

So what Im wondering is when im setting up the user password and everything, the password is for the windows login when Im adding the map network drive right (SMB)?
In properly configured shares, that's how it would work.

You can also permit windows users instead using the tools (like setfacl and the SID of the Windows user) or with the Windows interface (again with a share so configured for ACLs).

MarkusH

Dabbler
Right-click the shared folder or sub-folder, properties | Security... edit things there if you are granted the rights.

A user is specific to the Linux/Unix OS it's created on, but has a UID (a number) which is used also to allow matching between systems if that's desired.

Users can login to services on the system such as SSH or SMB shares (if the shares are so configured), FTP... maybe some other stuff.

In properly configured shares, that's how it would work.

You can also permit windows users instead using the tools (like setfacl and the SID of the Windows user) or with the Windows interface (again with a share so configured for ACLs).
Thanks for the answers, really appreciate it. If you dont mind any advices or something I should look out for while building a NAS (it will be used as a sort of backup) for a small business?

sretalla