SMB Users per dataset?

SMnasMAN

Contributor
Several windows VMs for my own testing / lab. + FN 11.2-u5 on a physical box.

My plan is to have a 4 different datasets for SMB sharing only, and each of those will only be accessable (via SMB) via a single username/password (and ofcouse also by root/rootpass via smb). (these datasets will *only* be used/accessed via windows smb)

Ive tried several guides ive found online as well as the example in the FN manual, but none seem to do what i want.
(and the almost all info seems to contradict each other:
like the manual says to create a user/group pair and assign that to the DS
yet many guides online say to use the wheel group,
and then some forum users say your owner/group options should be grayed out (inaccessible) in FN and you set all permissions in windows or else your doing it all wrong.).

can anyone point me in the right direction? I have tried several methods and either end up with too much access or no access to xyz datastore(via smb).

what im looking for, for example:

dataset= dvr
smb can only connect to it with these creds: dvruser/dvrpass (and ofcouse root/rootpass)

dataset= myfiles
smb can only connect to it with these creds: myfiles/somepass (and ofcouse root/rootpass)

dataset= backups
smb can only connect to it with these creds: backup/backuppass (and ofcouse root/rootpass)

(i know windows can only use one set of creds per smb connection, but i will have several windows VMs so this is not an issue).

thanks

edit- one other question- Do i need to restart the SMB service anytime i make permissions changes on the freenas side?

Last edited: