How do I remove the UFS partiton from my drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes9

Cadet
I have no access to get into FreeNas it booted once and now I can't access anything it will only boot if I use the cd, and that just keeps taking me in to try to reinstall. Im having too many problems installing FreeNAS 8.04 can someone help me figure out how I can delete the UFS partition in windows or from the FreeNas boot CD. Did I lose my HDD because it was quite substantial in size.
1.I installed FreeNas 8.04 using a CD-ROM
2.Rebooted and I got in once, I turned it off to see if it would reboot and now it will not
3.I tried re-flashing USB drives and none work
4. At this point I just want to know how to delete the UFS system so I can at least get it back for Windows.
5. I spent too much time almost an entire night I lost two flash drives and now Im wondering if the hard drive is lost now to is there no way to uninstall the UFS system without being in FreeNAS I dont know how to even navigate the shell.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The surest way is to download DBAN, Darik's Boot And Nuke (or something like that). It's a standalone utility designed to wipe hardware. *WARNING*: It is a dangerous tool. Mark the CD it's on with a BIG RED WARNING. Because when you accidentally stick it in your PC one day, it'll happily set up shop to wipe that out too.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi snipes9,

I use a tool called "ActiveKillDisk" for windows to wipe my USB keys. DBAN will certainly be able to wipe your drives. You could also use a "gpartd" boot cd to wipe them.

-Will

praecorloth

Contributor
Plug the drive in to your Windows box, and from within Windows go to Computer Management, Disk Management. You will see your disk there. Windows obviously won't be able to read UFS, but it'll be there. Right click on it, go to Format. Given that you're saying it's a pretty big disk, it will likely tell you it has to be NTFS. But if it doesn't, you want NTFS. You can do a quick format, and then after that it should be ready for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.