How do I expose VLAN interfaces to VirtualBox Guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAzar

Cadet
Hi All,

I've install 9.3 and the Virtualbox jail and now I need to create one guest per VLAN (10 total). I'm unable to find any examples in the official docs or online with a similar use case. I'm able to create a VLAN interface which ifconfig reports in the shell but in the phpVirtualbox gui that interface is not available.

I would guess I'm missing the act of creating a bridge interface and some other step to expose it to the Jail but guessing hasn't gotten the job done. Anyone have useful links or advise for pulling this off?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Kirk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I actually don't know how to do this. I have no doubt there some hacky/non-standard way to make it work. But as I've never tried I don't have a clue how.

KirkAzar

Cadet
I haven't figured this out yet. I don't get why it would be considered a non standard hack. VLANS and VMs are commonplace and have standard procedures in any Linux distribution, Solaris, and FreeBSD. If Virtualbox can be used why not VLANS??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you've got lots of layers here. You've got the layer for the FreeNAS install, then the layer controlled by the WebGUI, then the jails layer, then the Virtualbox layer and lastly the VM itself.

Virtualbox isn't exactly "officially sanctioned" by iXsystems. It was a project that someone in the forums started and I made into a nice template. It works great, and there's limitations on the functions available on Virtualbox. But aside from that, you're kind of "on your own" to use (and abuse) Virtualbox as you see fit.

subzer011

Dabbler
my setup -> comcast cable modem -> living room cisco sg200-08 switch -> closet cisco sg200-18 switch -> freenas -> virtualbox jail -> sophos vm

works fine. i set the switch port the modem is connecting to "access" mode with vlan 10. both switches have vlan 10 trunked as tagged. no changes in freenas (although at one point i did add vlan4095 to vlans, but it worked without it). no vlan setup in virtualbox. within the sophos vm, i added vlan 10 to the internet facing NIC. sophos and cable modem can see each other just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.