How do I add another hard drive to an existing share

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuw

Dabbler
In my server I have a 2TB WD red that is running just my share. I just got another 2TB WD red and two 1TBs that I got from my old server. I want to add them to my existing share. FreeNAS sees the drives from the CLI but I don't know where to go from there.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You should start with the documentation, then the noobie presentation, then search the forums. It's been covered a million times

Sent from my Nexus 5

wuw

Dabbler
I don't know what information I need to provide
I am using ZFS on FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64

JakeHiltz

Dabbler
Ok , this is pretty straight forward from here. Open the webGUI and then go to Storage. Click "ZFS Volume Manager" and import the disk/disks you want to add.

It has the option to extend , use this.

JakeHiltz

Dabbler
If also gives you options on how you want to add these disks. If you know what you are doing you can allocate the way you want , but you should let FreeNAS handle it otherwise. It will automatically add the disks optimally.

Keep in mind once you add a disk you cannot remove it using ZFS.

wuw

Dabbler
When I try to import the disks it dose not show any of them. I tried restarting and it still dose not see the drives.

JakeHiltz

Dabbler
Well it sounds like you have other problems . Make sure all your cables are correctly connected. Is FreeNAS warning you of any disk issues ?

This has happened to me before and it turned out the drives were not getting power ... listen to see if they are spinning up when you boot.

Once you have done all of this come back and I will try to walk you through getting the correct information/logs to solve this issue.

wuw

Dabbler
The drives are connected fine and spinning up properly. I don't see the "ZFS Volume Manager"

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
8.0.4 didn't have the volume manager we know today.

A. Upgrade your freenas install
B. Use the documentation and search the forums. This has been covered a million times.

Sent from my Nexus 5

wuw

Dabbler
Solved I had to upgrade FreeNAS so I could use the volume manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.