BUILD [Home NAS]SuperMicro PDSMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtK

Patron
Hey,
after reading many of recommendations around here I see SuperMicro is the way to go.
The problem is that in my country, SuperMicro is a luxury available only for buying a full spec server (I've ask all the three representatives/importers/distributors), which btw, I'm also client of one of them :) (didn't help much)
eBay, Amazon, NewEgg and other websites are not really an option because of the high prices of shipping and of course customs/taxes.

Apparently, PDSMA-E+, is the only one I could find.
Since I'm building a home file/media server with 4 drives, not more than 1TB each (I have 4 x 500/750/1000 and I haven't decided which to use), I thought this could be enough.
Of course, I will have to max it with 4x2GB of RAM!

am I right? is this good enough...?

MtK

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For home use, if you don't plan to ever go above the 4x1TB drives, will probably perform okay. Depending on the CPU used CIFS may be a bit slow, but NFS is an option.

You might want to look at AMD as an alternative. I wouldn't call it ideal, but it is something to at least consider. Many can do ECC RAM. Just make sure the NIC is compatible(or plan to get an Intel NIC as an addon).

MtK

Patron
For home use, if you don't plan to ever go above the 4x1TB drives, will probably perform okay. Depending on the CPU used CIFS may be a bit slow, but NFS is an option.
No, I think 4x750GB would be the max, since I want/need the 4x1TB for something else.

Would a simple Inter Pentium G2030 do the trick?
You might want to look at AMD as an alternative. I wouldn't call it ideal, but it is something to at least consider. Many can do ECC RAM. Just make sure the NIC is compatible(or plan to get an Intel NIC as an addon).
Since I'm not very familiar with AMD, I rather keep it as a last resort :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The G2030 isn't compatible with your board. But the G2020 is used for many people's home servers. As long as you don't plan to run Plex with transcoding it will be fine.

I'm not an AMD fan myself, but its an option at least.

MtK

Patron
The G2030 isn't compatible with your board. But the G2020 is used for many people's home servers.
Maybe something a bit stronger like the G3220?
of even better, I have an old IBM x336 that both (!) processors still work - though I'm not sure which processor is it :)
As long as you don't plan to run Plex with transcoding it will be fine.

Not Plex transcoding, but Plex as a Media Server :)

oh, is this Intel SATA good enough for FreeNAS's RaidZ1?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe something a bit stronger like the G3220?

Again, not compatible with your ol' PDSMA-E board. Check the compatible CPUs...

MtK

Patron
Again, not compatible with your ol' PDSMA-E board. Check the compatible CPUs...

so the G2020 you mentioned before isn't compatible either...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
so the G2020 you mentioned before isn't compatible either...

No. Look up the compatibility list for your board.

Something tells me you've never done this before and should probably stop before you spend money...

MtK

Patron
I've done this - Just trying to build something small and inexpensive as a first (home) build.
the second will be much better & bigger...

MtK

Patron
OK, after digging a bit, I found that saving money on the old MB and finding old 4x2GB DDR2 (assuming they support ECC) is almost the same price as buying some new stuff.
and digging some more I found one store that actually has SuperMicro X10.

so... how is this build:
Again, this is for a home media server that will probably have maximum of 4x750GB.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
OK, after digging a bit, I found that saving money on the old MB and finding old 4x2GB DDR2 (assuming they support ECC) is almost the same price as buying some new stuff.
and digging some more I found one store that actually has SuperMicro X10.

so... how is this build:
Again, this is for a home media server that will probably have maximum of 4x750GB.

Again, your CPU(socket 1155) is not compatible with that motherboard(socket 1150). Do yourself a favor and find someone that does know what they are doing. You are clearly very confused.

MtK

Patron
Sorry, the G3220 is 1150.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And I just noticed you linked Registered RAM despite the Supermicro website clearly saying that unbuffered RAM necessary.

So I'll say it again, find someone to help you. You are clearly not experienced enough for this project. Your errors are elementary in nature and show that you need help. Badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.