Home Directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferroresonance

Dabbler
Greetings, My questions are as follows;
  • What exactly is the home directory? Is it the same as user profile folder in windows where custom config and setting are stored?
  • Do i need to set a home directory or can it be left as default being /nonexistant?
  • I created two users which reside in two new groups for CIFS sharing but i did not set a home directory and left it as /non existent, after watching some you tube vids i pointed the users home directory at the root volume mnt/vol_1_Raids. Will this cause any issues or should i have setup home directory straight away?

Neeraj Saraf

Dabbler
While there is no "Home Directory" per se, the data sets (think of these like folders) are where you store data and give permissions to access the data.

ferroresonance

Dabbler
Hi , that didnt really answer my questions. Does it matter if i leave a new user i created home directory as /nonexistent

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
  1. Where User's can store data that is not readily accessible by other Users. May be possible to store other stuff via something like AD Redirection or similar
  2. If you don't want/need it, you can leave it as "Non-Existent"
  3. Guess you could try that way, but that is not the recommended method. Per the Manual (If I recall correctly), you should create a separate Dataset for this. I am on my cell phone and can't provide the link, but look for it in the Manual and it will explain it all there

Status
Not open for further replies.