Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

Cadet
Hi everybody,
and thanks for building a great community around a great project. I'm reading a lot before building my first FreeNAS, that will also be my first NAS :)

Keep up the great work, happy to contribute!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forums as well. Since you are looking to build your first FreeNAS machine, please do your bet to figure out what you want the system to do and once you know that, you will have an easier time defining the hardware to support your goals.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If I may recommend, sir:

I played with FreeNAS in a VM, with "make believe" virtual drives (5GB apiece). I practiced configuring it, losing a drive, sharing directories, all that stuff, for 4 weeks. I also read the entire manual TWICE. Then, and ONLY then, did I actually build my server on bare metal. It was the smartest thing I ever did.

Stux

MVP
If I may recommend, sir:

I played with FreeNAS in a VM, with "make believe" virtual drives (5GB apiece). I practiced configuring it, losing a drive, sharing directories, all that stuff, for 4 weeks. I also read the entire manual TWICE. Then, and ONLY then, did I actually build my server on bare metal. It was the smartest thing I ever did.

Hey, me too, except maybe not for 4 weeks :)

I then built a test server out of scrap parts... before building my real server :)

The good part of that approach is the play server became my backup server...

snake

Cadet
If I may recommend, sir:

Thank you so much for the suggestion :)
Which manual are you referring to? Do you have a link?

gpsguy

The official docs are here: http://doc.freenas.org/

A number of us, including @DrKK started using FreeNAS when the docs were offered as a PDF. In recent years, it's offered in HTML.

As a service to the community, I build the docs from source and offer them in PDF and ePub formats. See the link in my signature. I watch the commits and refresh them as changes are made.

Which manual are you referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.