Hi from NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

miccris93

Cadet
Hi everyone! Just getting started with FreeNAS and this new build I've been contemplating for a while now. Really excited now that Corral was released from beta.

-Fractal 804 case
-Xeon E3 1230 v6 (Kaby Lake)
-Supermicro X11SSM-F
-16GB Kingston DDR4-2400 ECC
-4x WD Red 2TB
-SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB (for future VMs)
-Corsair RM550x PSU

It's going to be a home server for files and I'm religious about keeping backups, so getting accustomed with Corral is my priority. I'm currently working for an educational services commission to manage or assist in managing technology in different schools in New Jersey so systems administration, implementation, and break/fix is a lot of what I deal with, and learn from, daily. Prior, I worked for EMC (now DellEMC) and I've been told I'm a bit of a storage fanatic, and it was time to have some real storage for myself; stepping up from 2x WD Red 2TB in a Dell XPS 410 running NAS4Free. At work really only my boss and one colleague are really familiar with Windows Server, so I'm eager to get an instance running with Corral and getting to play around with it (also want to use it with Veeam to run my backups in the future since I've read USB passthrough is a future feature). Looking forward to learning on here on how to really take advantage of what the OS and my hardware can be capable of.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks like a great assortment of hardware. Might want to take a look in the announcement area, Corral development has halted and features are in the process of being back ported to the 9.10 series.

miccris93

Cadet
Looks like a great assortment of hardware. Might want to take a look in the announcement area, Corral development has halted and features are in the process of being back ported to the 9.10 series.

Well, seeing that is a bit disappointing. I see 9.10.3 is bringing back the GUI for bhyve and a dashboard more akin to Corral, so I'll eagerly be waiting for it to be released so I can update. Had a couple extra days of waiting between my memory from NewEgg coming a day after the motherboard and CPU, and my OOB license taking another day after that, but I'm finally up and running with my volumes and datasets created, and my data migrated to my new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.