HGST Deskstar NAS Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
Anyone have any reason NOT to get some HGST 6TB Deskstar Nas 7200rpm drives? I am looking at either 6 or 7 of them in Z2.

Any bad experiences? I know HGST is usually pretty solid with reliability. But being 7200 RPM, they will get a bit warmer, use more power and make more heat.... Any note on noise? I know reds are pretty quiet, are these similar?

The fans in the system will be louder than the drives in most systems. I have 7 in a RaidZ3 and they have worked great for me. Since I was able to purchase them for less than the equivalent reds I was more than happy to pick them up. IMHO they are basically the red pro drives at a cheaper price.

LIGISTX

Guru

LIGISTX

Guru
The fans in the system will be louder than the drives in most systems. I have 7 in a RaidZ3 and they have worked great for me. Since I was able to purchase them for less than the equivalent reds I was more than happy to pick them up. IMHO they are basically the red pro drives at a cheaper price.

Do you happen to know how much wattage they pull? Or I guess how much wattage your entire system pulls? If so, what specs are you running? Trying to determine PSU, but I am almost 100% sure the 300 watt unit in the prebuilt barebone HP server I'm looking at won't be enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmerpling2

Patron
Take a look at the Disk Price Performance Spreadsheet to see where they stand.

• 3 year warranty
  • MTBF is only 1,000,000
  • Error rate is 1.000E+14
  • Startup power is 30 watts per drive
  • Cost per TB per year computed to 5 year warranty is $7.32/TB/Year
The HGST Ultrastar He8 has better specs at $6.88/TB/Year. The He10 is even better $6.40! (2,500,00 MTBF, 1.000E+15, very high workload per year)

Use the spreadsheet to get a view of what is available and the quality of drive. Better transfer rate, etc.

I'd go with either Ultrastar He8 or even better He10. They use Helium so they produce less heat!

Hope the spreadsheet helps!

At the battery backup while being at idle I am pulling about 170 watts. Very similar specs to your system but I would guess with 7 drives around 150 to 160 watts for yours at idle.

LIGISTX

Guru
Take a look at the Disk Price Performance Spreadsheet to see where they stand.

• 3 year warranty
  • MTBF is only 1,000,000
  • Error rate is 1.000E+14
  • Startup power is 30 watts per drive
  • Cost per TB per year computed to 5 year warranty is $7.32/TB/Year
The HGST Ultrastar He8 has better specs at $6.88/TB/Year. The He10 is even better $6.40! (2,500,00 MTBF, 1.000E+15, very high workload per year)

Use the spreadsheet to get a view of what is available and the quality of drive. Better transfer rate, etc.

I'd go with either Ultrastar He8 or even better He10. They use Helium so they produce less heat!

Hope the spreadsheet helps!

Maybe it's just tapatalk, or my phone, but that link seems to be broken.

LIGISTX

Guru
At the battery backup while being at idle I am pulling about 170 watts. Very similar specs to your system but I would guess with 7 drives around 150 to 160 watts for yours at idle.

Hmm. Well, I guess the 300 watt is plenty for idle, probably even load. But startup draw mag be to much for it.

farmerpling2

Patron
Do you happen to know how much wattage they pull?

30 watts

The info is in the spreadsheet, though a few pieces are not there because I cannot find the information.

He8/He10 are the best prices for high performance, low $/TB/Year,cand great MTBF, etc.

Last edited:

LIGISTX

Guru
The info is in the spreadsheet, though a few pieces are not there because I cannot find the information.

He8/He10 are the best prices for high performance, low $/TB/Year,cand great MTBF, etc.
Yea, it was my phone, works fine on PC.

Thanks for this! I will give it a look.

farmerpling2

Patron
Maybe it's just tapatalk, or my phone, but that link seems to be broken.

Sorry. Click on resources tab in top of forums listing and then look for the Disk Price Spreadsheet.

This has almost all the info you are asking for. If you go He10, you could go 5 or 6 drives and use less power.

The startup of HGST is high at 30 watts.

I use HGST Enterprise drives because of the price/performance and low heat production for 7200 RPM drives. Better than consumer/ProCosumer NAS drives with much better specs.

LIGISTX

Guru
Sorry. Click on resources tab in top of forums listing and then look for the Disk Price Spreadsheet.

This has almost all the info you are asking for. If you go He10, you could go 5 or 6 drives and use less power.

The startup of HGST is high at 30 watts. I use HGST Enterprise drives because of the price/performance and low heat production for 7200 RPM drives. Better than consumer/ProCosumer NAS drives with much better specs.
I just reformatted my PC this afternoon, so I am installing office right now to be able to view the Excel file lol.

I found a deal on the deskstars for 179 a pop, and for that price its going to be hard to beat I bet. I will take a look tho, good thing I am very handy at excel ;)

LIGISTX

Guru
Hmm, looks like its still $7.32.

But since I can get it taxfree, and with free shipping, I will give myself an extra 10 dollar bump, should be more then that, but I get 5% off everything on amazon, so say net 5% off since tax is ~10%. Is that 100% real normalization, no prob not. But its quick and dirty lol.

At 170 a drive, it brings it down to $6.91 which looks to be pretty solid.

farmerpling2

Patron
I found a deal on the deskstars for 179 a pop, and for that price its going to be hard to beat I bet. I will take a look tho, good thing I am very handy at excel ;)

The He8/He10 are a better deal in the overall big picture.

The cost in power per year per TB for He8 is $0.59 and for He10 is $0.52 (e.g. very good). This is at 20% utilization cycle. This is cheaper than many of the well known drives that people push on this forum.

You can modify the 20% value in spreadsheet to change this value to how you will use system to get a more accurate cost for energy.

Any of the Enterprise drives by any of the well known companies are very good. Maybe a hiccup or two in some but I would not feel bad about buying any of them.

I am not an HGST zealot, but they are currently a really hard price to beat for enterprise drives.

LIGISTX

Guru
The He8/He10 are a better deal in the overall big picture.

The cost in power per year per TB for He8 is $0.59 and for He10 is $0.52 (e.g. very good). This is at 20% utilization cycle. This is cheaper than many of the well known drives that people push on this forum.

You can modify the 20% value in spreadsheet to change this value to how you will use system to get a more accurate cost for energy.

Any of the Enterprise drives by any of the well known companies are very good. Maybe a hiccup or two in some but I would not feel bad about buying any of them.

I am not an HGST zealot, but they are currently a really hard price to beat for enterprise drives.

I will adjust the 20%, but since you don't seem to have active watt usage for the deskstars, wont be able to compare them :/

farmerpling2

Patron
I will adjust the 20%, but since you don't seem to have active watt usage for the deskstars, wont be able to compare them :/

Since I have not found an OFFICIAL source for power usage I have left it blank. If you come across official numbers please give me a pointer to them and I will update the spreadsheet.

They will likely be in same range of the non-He Ultrastar series. Plug that number in and you will be very close.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The specs on the HGST Deskstar 6TB & 4TB drive is:
Startup Current: 5VDC @ 6W, 12VDC @ 24W
Idle Current: 7.3W

The 12VDC is one we typically look at, not the combined value, so you are looking at 24W when you compare it to other hard drives.

Here is the link: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/DS_NAS_spec.pdf

I too looked at the deal from Newegg and I think it's a fair deal but I would need to buy four drives and I just bought a referigerator so I have a bit less money in my pockets today. I hope another sale like this occurs in a few months so I can take advantage of it.

farmerpling2

Patron
The specs on the HGST Deskstar 6TB & 4TB drive is:
Idle Current: 7.3W

The 12VDC is one we typically look at, not the combined value, so you are looking at 24W when you compare it to other hard drives.

I too looked at the deal from Newegg and I think it's a fair deal but I would need to buy four drives and I just bought a referigerator so I have a bit less money in my pockets today. I hope another sale like this occurs in a few months so I can take advantage of it.

I combine the two as it is the actual power usage mainly for logic board. I need the actual watts active. They provide startup and idle but no active. Seems strange to me...

That is what stops me from actually calculating the power usage... I have tried very hard to stay true to the spec sheets, so when I finally get the active power usage for them, I will update it.

Ahhh... Life gets in the way of our toys! :( The Newegg sales tend to be cyclical from what I have seen. Put a notice on the drives you want at a set price and then you will get notified when the price drops.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Holy crap, either they decided to go with a more realistic conservative figure or those disks take a crapton of power to spin up. What the hell are they doing pulling 1.2A from +5V? That's enough to start causing some concern that a modern PSU might not have enough capacity in the +5V rail when running a bunch of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.