Help with Zpool migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergiuMelnic

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate your help in the following problem as I am kind of new to zfs and how it works.

A couple of days ago, I decided to install Ubuntu Server 16.04 in a VM on Freenas. In order for the VM to work, naturally I created a test storage zpool named Ubuntu_Server_Storage in my Main_Storage volume. As this zpool was created only for testing purposes, surprisingly all went good and I installed some couple more things in Ubuntu such as docker-ce, hass.io and pihole. Everything works great but in my mind, I was somehow concerned that it runs in the Main Storage Volume, where all my data is stored and decided to buy a 64GB flash drive and add it to Freenas Volumes with a new zpool (currently empty) named Ubuntu_Server_VM.

My problem starts here: is there any chance to copy/clone/migrate, all the data that is already in the Ubuntu_Server_Storage (initial zpool) or the entire zpool, to the newly installed Volume from the Flash Drive or the new zpool Ubuntu_Storage_VM?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Sure.

Just snapshot the dataset/s you want to move and then replicate them to the new pool. When setting up replication use localhost as the name of the replica system to tell it your replicating locally then just point it to the path of your new pool.

SergiuMelnic

Cadet
Sure.

Just snapshot the dataset/s you want to move and then replicate them to the new pool. When setting up replication use localhost as the name of the replica system to tell it your replicating locally then just point it to the path of your new pool.

Thanks a lot!
Still, there are some more questions regarding this: can the process be done via the UI or is there some shell sorcery involved?

No, all done via the UI

Status
Not open for further replies.