Help with rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryle

Dabbler
Hello - I'm trying to use rsync to copy data from my FreeNAS box to QNAP. I had it working before I updated to 11.

If I run the following from command line rsync works as expected:
Code:
rsync -avz /mnt/mediapool/shared_3d rsync@192.168.1.53::d3dmoviebkup --password-file=/mnt/personalpool/personal/rsync.pwd --log-file=/mnt/personalpool/personal/rsync3D.txt

...but when using the GUI option in FreeNAS I get no return in my log nor do I see any errors. My suspicion is the '::' between the dest IP and remote rsync module. I also tried playing with the Remote Host field following some of the options here but nothing seemed to tickle FreeNAS's fancy.

Attachments

• FreeNAS1.PNG
    FreeNAS1.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 453
  • FreeNAS2.PNG
    FreeNAS2.PNG
    56.8 KB · Views: 501

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In the command line argument you don't specify a user, so the user is root, in the graphic you specify the user is daryle. Does daryl have permission?
If rsync fails, it is usually because the user trying to do the thing didn't have the rights required to do the thing.

Daryle

Dabbler
In the command line argument you don't specify a user, so the user is root, in the graphic you specify the user is daryle. Does daryl have permission?
If rsync fails, it is usually because the user trying to do the thing didn't have the rights required to do the thing.

I am SSH'd to the FreeNAS box as Daryle. I'm assuming the command is running as my ID. When I was logged in as root I received:
root@freenas:/ # rsync -avz /mnt/mediapool/shared_3d rsync@192.168.1.53::d3dmoviebkup --password-file=/mnt/personalpool/personal/rsync.pwd --log-file=/mnt/personalpool/personal/rsync3D.txt
ERROR: password file must be owned by root when running as root
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at authenticate.c(200) [sender=3.1.2]

This is from my 'Daryle' session:

% rsync -avz /mnt/mediapool/shared_3d rsync@192.168.1.53::d3dmoviebkup --password-file=/mnt/personalpool/personal/rsync.pwd --log-file=/mnt/personalpool/personal/rsync3D.txt
sending incremental file list

sent 2,488 bytes received 71 bytes 5,118.00 bytes/sec
total size is 126,203,667,476 speedup is 49,317,572.28

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Well, that is different. It could still be a permission error somewhere along the way. Every time I have tried to rsync from within the GUI on FreeNAS and it didn't work, the problem ultimately traced back to having the wrong user or password or group.

Here is a good reference that I used when I setup the rsync between my two FreeNAS systems: http://thesolving.com/storage/how-to-sync-two-freenas-storage-using-rsync/

Their example is for two way sync. I only do a push from my Irene-NAS to my Emily-NAS for backup purposes and do not push from the Emily back to the Irene so my setup is slightly different, but the illustrations and explanation they give might help you find the trouble.

Daryle

Dabbler
Well, that is different. It could still be a permission error somewhere along the way. Every time I have tried to rsync from within the GUI on FreeNAS and it didn't work, the problem ultimately traced back to having the wrong user or password or group.

Here is a good reference that I used when I setup the rsync between my two FreeNAS systems: http://thesolving.com/storage/how-to-sync-two-freenas-storage-using-rsync/

Their example is for two way sync. I only do a push from my Irene-NAS to my Emily-NAS for backup purposes and do not push from the Emily back to the Irene so my setup is slightly different, but the illustrations and explanation they give might help you find the trouble.

I'll take a look through. Thank you !

Daryle

Dabbler
Well, the transfers are working now. I checked my logs at the top of the hour and noticed they were updated. I'm going to assume it had something to do with me being logged into the GUI as ROOT trying to execute the rsync jobs manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.