Help with CIFS authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johev

Contributor
Dear all,

I have my server up and running for some days and unfortunately I have probably messed something with the permissions. My suspicion is that I have created a password for the root user.

Now when I try to mount a CIFS share, after introducing the correct user name and password for the user, Freenas asks me for another user name and password (Connecting to FreeNas) and no matter what password I introduce (root or any other user that I can think of) it does not mount the share.

My CIFS share setup:

I used the recommended setup under the guide. Wizard, create "user1" with a group with the same name "user1". I have also selected Windows share. No active directory or any special things.

My Configuration:

Dell T20 (E3-1225v3, 12GB ECC RAM)
1st volume called "v1" with RAIDZ (3x4TB hdds)
2nd volume called "v2" with 1 HDD of 1TB (for liveTV recodings)

The only datasets I can access over my Windows 8.1 Pro laptop are the ones that are marked as Unix ones.

Is there a way to reset the root password or will I have to start all over with a fresh installation of freenas.

Many thanks for your assistance.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Make sure your dataset that you are sharing is owned by the user you are using to login to the cifs share with. What type of dataset is the one you can't access? You can always click the set permissions recursively box under the cifs share setting to make things sane.

Johev

Contributor
Make sure your dataset that you are sharing is owned by the user you are using to login to the cifs share with. What type of dataset is the one you can't access? You can always click the set permissions recursively box under the cifs share setting to make things sane.
Thank you for your input. The dataset is owned by that user1 and group name user1. I have set permissions recursively however no change. When I try to map it under Windows 8.1 and I choose the option log in with different user, I put user1 and the password, and then it asks me one more time for an authentication. The second time nothing seems to work. By the way if I make a mistake in the first authentication in requests me to repeat it, thus I conclude that it checks with Freenas and approves the user and the correct password.

I have also used the "net use" command under cmd in Windows 8.1 pro and I'm not connected anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is your minimum and maximum protocol version for cifs? It's in the cifs service settings.

Johev

Contributor
What is your minimum and maximum protocol version for cifs? It's in the cifs service settings.

Minimum is set at nothing and maximum at SMB2 and the guest account is a guest that I have created and mapped to a group called guest already included in the initial accounts created by Freenas. Please see the print screen attached.

Many thanks :)

Attachments

• CIFS config Johev 1.jpg
    CIFS config Johev 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 278
  • CIFS config Johev 2.jpg
    CIFS config Johev 2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 264

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hmmm... Everything looks OK. Can you post your debug file? That will have all your permissions in it to double check.

Johev

Contributor
Hmmm... Everything looks OK. Can you post your debug file? That will have all your permissions in it to double check.

Thanks once again for all your help. Not sure if this is what you meant, however here it comes.

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20150517010024.tgz
    554.4 KB · Views: 260

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It looks like your configuration for the share "sky" is messed up. It contains the following line, which is syntactically incorrect: "vfs objects = zfsacl ['aio_pthread' 'streams_xattr']"

Johev

Contributor
Thanks @anodos, I will probably just start a new installation of Freenas with a correct config from the beginning. Now that I had some time to test and learn it'll be much better. As for your comment I don't even have a share with that name "sky". Maybe it was something installed by the pluguins.

By the way is there a way to star over but keep the data on the two volumes intact? How should I proceed? There is no encryption and I user RAIDZ on volume 1 and volume 2 is a single HD for TV recordings.

Many thanks in advance.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is a factory reset option in the GUI. I don't think it delete data but I have never used it.

I've used it recently and it doesn't destroy data (which would have been a bad choice anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.