Help understanding file system permissions within Jails?

wardrop

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm trying to get Emby to work on FreeNAS. It's in it's own Jail, however it doesn't have access to the mount point I've created. Emby runs as the user "emby" within the jail, but the files within the mount point are set to "rwxrwx---", with "root" as owner, and "wheel" as group. Typically I'd just add "emby" to the wheel group, but that doesn't seem to work. I believe it's because the permissions are being enforced by the target of the mount point (within FreeNAS as opposed to the Jail), and the "emby" user doesn't seem to exist on the FreeNAS system, only witihn the jail, so I can't add "emby" to the "wheel" group on FreeNAS.

Further complicationg the issue is that I'm using Windows ACL's within the mount point target, so I can't just chmod/chown. I'm not entirely sure how to grant the "emby" user within the jail access to files within the mount point. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

artlessknave

Wizard
short version: get the emby user accounts UID within the jail, add emby to freenas with the jails UID#, give freenas emby user permissions to access the mount point files.

there has to be a user/UID match between the jail and the host for anything other than "other" permissions to apply. if you set the permissions in the mount point to chmod 777, it should work, but if you want anything more complex than that you need matching UIDs afaik.

long version: google. I remember there being a good write up on how to do so, but I can't find it. might be in the links in my signature.
i've done it before, however, i use all UNIX permissions, so I'm not sure how windows acl's affects it.
note that generally you dont want to give emby, or any service, direct root permissions of any kind, because if the service gets compromised, your system (or jail here) does as well

artlessknave

Wizard
ah, here it is, in the howto guides section.

wardrop

Cadet
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I worked out after reading your replies and the thread you linked to that the ACL's shown with "getfacls" and set with "setfacls" reflect what's shown in the 'Security' tab when browsing the Samba share within Windows. I just gave "Everyone" read access to the two media folders I wanted Emby to have access to, and that did the trick.