Help...Resilvering

Nightscar

Dabbler
Ok so I am lost.. no clue.
I have a 4 HDD NAS system running TrueNAS 12.0-U8.1
I recently had a degraded system because one of the HDD had some read errors.
So I ordered a duplicate 4TB HDD.. shut the system down.. pulled the bad HDD, put the new HDD in.. started the system aaaand. nothing.
Do I have to initiate the silvering? Why does it not do it on its own? How for the love of god do you initiate a silvering?
Did I do the process wrong in replacing the HDD?

Thanks for any help

artlessknave

Wizard
by default you have to initiate resilver yourself.
you can turn on autoreplace but thats CLI and isnt always wanted so its not on by default.
you go into your pool status and select the disk to replace (should show as offline)

Apollo

Wizard
Ok so I am lost.. no clue.
I have a 4 HDD NAS system running TrueNAS 12.0-U8.1
I recently had a degraded system because one of the HDD had some read errors.
So I ordered a duplicate 4TB HDD.. shut the system down.. pulled the bad HDD, put the new HDD in.. started the system aaaand. nothing.
Do I have to initiate the silvering? Why does it not do it on its own? How for the love of god do you initiate a silvering?
Did I do the process wrong in replacing the HDD?

Thanks for any help
It might help if you could find a link in your FreeNAS server to the documentation (referred as "guide").
Then you can read what might be the better course of action.

On a cautioned note, do you have an encrypted pool?
Otherwise, I think you can read-up on the TrueNAS archive at:

Nightscar

Dabbler
Thank you for the replies.
Yaaa I figured it out with the guide. I had issues with finding where to shutdown the HDD and accessing pool status was the issue.
I did setup the resilver priority in tasks for futures sake.

But I didn't know I had to go into pools and then pool status .. then shutdown the specific hdd, replace the hdd, then once I enabled it turned it back on the resilvering process started.
I figured as soon as I turned the system off ...put in the new HDD turn the system back on the resilvering would start automatically.

However question:
When you shut a HDD down like that, can you hot swap it out with a new one ?
Or should you shutdown the entire system?
Thanks again for the replies

NugentS

MVP
Depends on your hardware - does it support hotswap?
If so - you don't need to switch off

Apollo

Wizard
However question:
When you shut a HDD down like that, can you hot swap it out with a new one ?
Or should you shutdown the entire system?
It is kind of a tricky question. Some motherboard have hot swapping capability set in the BIOS, however I do not know how it is supposed to work.
Doing a quick search online, it would seem hot swapping option allow the OS to prepare itself for clean HDD removal.
However, hot swapping has to be looked also at the power supply level.
If you have a HDD bay with removable drives, there is a chance the power supply to the HDD is turned off automatically upon opening the bay door. Same for closing the bay door, the power supply is expected to be cleanly re-enabled to the HDD.

Power management internal to the HDD should prevent the drive from spinning if 12V and 3.3V rail are not provided (might work with 12V only).
However, if the HDD is powered with the PSU SATA cables, then the insertion or removal of the SATA power plug could upset the power rails and could potentially interfere with the other drives causing the system to misbehave. This could potentially cause the system to crash or force HDD to disconnect. I would say you always take a risk this way.

HDD and motherboard or adapter boards are designed (should be) to handle ESD and transients due to inrush current without damage. However it may not prevent interference with the other drives.