Help please, need to copy/move/clone data from one volume to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonkoc

Explorer
Hello,

I am too tired, too cranky and too hungry right now to tackle this issue. I've been at it for the past day. Can someone please, in very detailed and plain steps, explain to me how I can clone/move/copy data from one volume to another on freenas. Here's what I have:
1. RaidZ1 5x2TB, filled with 3.1TB of data.
2. Pool of mirrored raid expanded to 2x2TB + 2x2TB + 2x2TB for a total of 5.4TB - currently empty.
3. Two users set up for the separate raids, let's call them User for raidZ and User1 for mirror raid. Both those users belong to the Multimedia group that I created.
4. My end goal is to move/clone/copy the data from the RaidZ to the mirrored raid so I can destroy the RaidZ and add its drives (minus one for spare) to the mirrored raid. I don't even know if I need Rsync, and if I do, I would not know how to set it up. I want to move the data/clone it, whatever, just not have it funnel through an intermediary PC.
5. I've tried enabling Apple shares, but can't connect to them on my Mac, it sees them but refuses to connect, even though I properly authenticate.
7. I've tried enabling Windows shares, I can see the info, select copy on one of the shares but can't write to the other. And I see the permissions on the shares as RW. This is driving me up the wall and I'm ready to toss this 25kg junk pile out the window.

Again, my end goal is to move/clone/copy whatever, the data from the RaidZ to the Mirrored raid. Don't really care how, just want it to the internal to the Freenas.

Running 8.0.2 x64, fresh build. The two arrays are /mnt/NAS (that's the RaidZ) and /mnt/HomeNAS (new one). So how do I get /mnt/NAS data -> /mnt/HomeNAS.

Thank you in advance. Hope I did not appear to be too cranky.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi yonkoc,

It's very very easy.

1) From the keyboard /monitor you have connected to your FreeNAS system, choose #9 from the menu (Shell)
2) Type 'su' without the quotes, enter the root password which should be 'freenas' if you haven't changed it.
3) Type rsync -av --log-file=/mnt/NAS/rsync.log /mnt/NAS /mnt/HomeNAS

Wait a long time for it to finish, examine the logfile afterward for any problems, delete your RaidZ if everything looks ok.

yonkoc

Explorer
Hi yonkoc,

It's very very easy.

1) From the keyboard /monitor you have connected to your FreeNAS system, choose #9 from the menu (Shell)
2) Type 'su' without the quotes, enter the root password which should be 'freenas' if you haven't changed it.
3) Type rsync -av --log-file=/mnt/NAS/rsync.log /mnt/NAS /mnt/HomeNAS

Wait a long time for it to finish, examine the logfile afterward for any problems, delete your RaidZ if everything looks ok.

Wow, I can't believe it! I was going into Rsync modules, enabling rsync service and crap, setting up replication tasks, nothing worked. You are my new personal hero, it is streaming right now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.