Move one zpool's data to another easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm playing around with my Virtual Machine using FreeNAS 8.2. I have a jail setup and a few plugins just for the "full experience" when experimenting. So here's my question:

Currently my VM has a zpool of 1 800GB drive. It's way too big and so I'm wanting to slim it down a little and add RAIDZ to it. I currently have 3x150GB virtual hard drives. I will be keeping all 3 virtual drive files on the same drive, but I want to setup RAIDZ strictly for experimenting.

How do I actually go about moving my data? I figure I'll have to shutdown the jail and all sharing while I do this to be safe, but can I just CP from zpool1 to zpool2? Obviously the jail is already located at /mnt/Harddisk/Jail and pluigins are at /mnt/Harddisk/Plugins and I obviously can't create another Zpool called "Harddisk". Without the jail and plugins Id still have the issue of keeping the same location for the shares and other services.

So how do I do this? It seems that the issue is I need the new zpool to replace the old zpool without causing too many problems for the GUI or the services.

Am I trying to do something that's just stupid? ;)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Create a recursive snapshot of the volume... then send + recv...

# zfs snapshot -r tank1@copy
# zfs send -R tank1@copy | zfs receive tank2

That is, if I understood what you're trying to accomplish :)

Status
Not open for further replies.