Need best backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylith

Dabbler
Hello,

I have been reading about all ways to keep data secured... no matter what raid system is used, a raid isn't a backup.

I have not much money but want to be sure about getting the best solution about my needs when I pay.

I really want to keep lots of storage with the safest solution. It's for home media... no need of ZIL L2arc....

ZFS with 2 redundancy HDD is good but loosing 2 HDD all data is lost... a storage sync 1:1 is not the best but more expensive?

Does the best way is to build a JBOD freenas system and keep a clone of each disk on a safe box at my house? so if disk x burns, just get new hdd, clone and keep main copy safe again.
Keeping all that disks also makes me feel stupid.

For other people with home freenas systems... what are your experiences? any tips? is too much paranoia loose ZFS 2 disk at same time or the second during a rebuild?

Thanks a lot

P.D:Sorry for my english

CAlbertson

Dabbler
Yes you need backup.

What you have to think about is all the ways you could loose data

1) A disaster such as a fire, flood or theft of the equipment or lightening sriking a power line 1/2 mile from your house. All of these can take of EVERY disk in the NAS box all at the same time

2) A software error that corrupts your data.

3) A user error that takes out al your data.

In each of the above case RAID will not help

THere are a few rules you need to follow if you want the data to last more than a few years. You must follow ALL of them even while a backup operation is in progress:
1) The data should exist on three different phassical media (a raid system counts as one physical media)
2) The data shall exist in at least two different geographical locations (even while a copy is being made.)
This means you have two backups that are rotated to some remote location

One way to do this is to make up two disk enclosures. USB is good enough, format them as whatever file system you like. Plug in into the FreeNAS and to a backup then take it to the office and bring an identical set of disks home with you.

Other people set up a second FreeNAS system but you were looking for lower cost

cyberjock

Inactive Account
USB is NOT a reliable option. If the disk starts having problems you may have trouble getting it to stay online long enough to get your data.

CAlbertson

Dabbler
Do you have a source that gives the relative reliability of veroius connects type (USB, Firwire, eSATA,...) This is for backup so it would only run some hours per month

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you have a source that gives the relative reliability of veroius connects type (USB, Firwire, eSATA,...) This is for backup so it would only run some hours per month

Search the forum. You'll see why USB is so bad. I've discussed this to death this month...

Nylith

Dabbler
First of all thx for your answers

I tought a solution about how to reduce my annoying situation.:

Is a good solution to get a Raidz2 with 4x3TB (12TB) + 2x3TB (2 redundancy disk). Becouse system is for displaying media to my htpc I only need it to be runnging puntually, so I can keep freenas shutdown in the mean time.

Run a fast SMART test weekly and ZFS/long smart every month.

SMART should be running on a 24h system but mine will be not much hours/week.

Becouse of this tought... makes sense Green or Red WD 3TB disks??? I know red is for a 24h NAS system becouse of performance, but green not on a 24h NAS will perform different???

Thanks a lot!

Caesar

Contributor
ZFS with 2 redundancy HDD is good but loosing 2 HDD all data is lost... a storage sync 1:1 is not the best but more expensive?

Maybe I missed something but with Raidz2 3 HDDs have to fail for you to lose your data.

Nylith said:
Becouse of this tought... makes sense Green or Red WD 3TB disks??? I know red is for a 24h NAS system becouse of performance, but green not on a 24h NAS will perform different???

I went with Red WD drives because of the extra year warranty and I do not have to hide the fact that I had the disk in a RAID if I do have to RMA a disk.

Nylith

Dabbler
If I'm not wrong:
raid5=raidz1= 1 disk redundancy, 1 disk can be lost before loosing all data, 2n disk lost during rebuild means all data lost
raid6=raidz2= 2 disk redundancy, 2 disk can be lost before loosing all data, 3rd disk lost during rebuild means all data lost.

you are right!

Just wondering how much can take rebuild 1 disk on a 12TB (total space) with a A4-5300 AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.