HELP! NOOB! Transmission "Error Permission Denied"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMoff

Dabbler
Set up a Freenas Media Server from my old PC with 3 2 tb hard drives. I set up a shared folder in windows "media" with subfolders "movies\tvshows\ect... and all are accessible for read write and delete with permissions allowed thru windows security settings. I installed transmission and followed instructions offered on a YouTube video. Copy and pasted torrent magnet link on Transmission Web GUI and get "Error Permission Denied". Very Frustrated. I've tried all that I'm capable of doing and was hoping someone could walk me thru resolving this.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
did you set the "Download to..." folder?
I dont know anything about windows/windows security settings, and I dont think transmission knows or cares either. can you show the output of 'ls -l /path/to/download/folder'?

this thread should be helpful if you read, fully understand it, and implement a solution.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

I think its funny when people type they are frustrated, sorry... =P

JMoff

Dabbler
Officially waving the white flag. I give up. Nothing "funny" about this. I guess the learning curve is a little to rough for me. I've tried EVERYTHING that
"I" can think of to no avail. My Freenas has accessible folders to read and write to, but I cant seem to make it work with transmission. I have Utorrent set up on my desktop and have set up port forwarding and this works fine.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. In case you later on want to give it a try I suspect that you are linking a folder into the jail that is also accessible via SMB. What I found worked was adding a group into the jail that is the same ID as the group that SMB uses and then add the Transmission user to that group in the jail. I also create a user in the FreeNAS GUI that has the same ID number as the Transmission user in the jail, I also add that user to the SMB group.

You could also just chown the folder that transmission needs write access to it would be simple but has it's own caveats. If someone else comes across this issue in the future trust me when I say it is a permissions problem.

JMoff

Dabbler
Status report: Still playing with Transmission trying to get it to work. while stumbling thru the freenas settings under plugins\transmission. I found a setting "incomplete download directory" I pressed the "browse" button where it allowed me to select a folder in the transmission jail, I selected the "tmp" folder. Now transmission will download torrents to the tmp folder. Yay! BUT It will not allow me to delete the folders without permission I can copy paste but not delete! If I can select this folder thru their settings and it works WHY cant I select a simple directory for Torrent DL's anyone on Freenas do remote tech support?

Sorry guys ..and girls....I was raised a Windows guy .....configuring this is killing me... any help would be appreciated.

JMoff

Dabbler
I thought I would give Transmission one more try, while stumbling thru the FreeNAS plugins setting under transmission I selected "incomplete download directory" and selected the tmp folder. Now Transmission will download torrent files to that directory but I cannot delete them without permission from a user not listed. I can only copy paste. Can anyone from FreeNAS remote to my computer to check my settings? I was raised a Windows guy and "thought" I could manage this but it's very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
as i said before you waved the white flag you need to set the download directory.
open the transmission webui, click the wrench in the bottom left corner, set the "Download to..." to a folder in your jail.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMoff

Dabbler
Thanks for your help Joshua! When I open the web GUI the default folder is set as "//downloads". There is no folder in the Transmission jail sub folder called "downloads" If I try to create one it says I need permission. I cannot create or delete files or folders in the Jail folder.without permission and I tried setting permissions in windows security but keep getting an error. Can I set the folder for downloads in the GUI for a folder outside of the jail and if so how do I write the path? Would it follow a windows type path? ie: "X:\Torrent DL\"

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
as for having issues creating folders in your jail that is not an issue with the plugins. I'm not sure what protocol you are using to try and create the folder. I personally would use SSH or SFTP as root in my FreeNAS server, and create the folders

Whatever folder you set as your downloads folder needs to be accessible in the jail. Here's what I recommend you do.
* create a dataset on your freenas you will use for your downloads
* mount that dataset into your jail, somewhere like /mnt/data
* set transmissions download setting to "/mnt/data"
* also suggest you make make then transmission owns that directory with the following command in the jail
"chown -R transmission:transmission /mnt/data"

JMoff

Dabbler
Some success!!. I created a dataset in the Transmission jail. set the permissions to user "nobody" group "wheel" now the torrent will download to the directory and is read write accessible and able to delete, copy ect. . I thought that the dataset for your downloads had to be "outside" the jail. Thanks for your help Joshua! I need to learn and understand more about permissions for datasets but for now it's working!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Some success!!. I created a dataset in the Transmission jail. set the permissions to user "nobody" group "wheel" now the torrent will download to the directory and is read write accessible and able to delete, copy ect. . I thought that the dataset for your downloads had to be "outside" the jail. Thanks for your help Joshua! I need to learn and understand more about permissions for datasets but for now it's working!
great, a reason I wouldn't do it that way, is of you delete the plugin/jail, that dataset may be deleted with it.

by making the dataset outside of the jail, then mounting it in the jail using the Jails > Storage tab, this scenario would not happen

Status
Not open for further replies.