Help! Infinite boot loop!

Whattteva

Wizard
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I have a Supermicro X11SPi-TF with Xeon Silver 4210T. However, as soon as I plug in my HP H220 (LSI 9205-8i) controller card without even any drives plugged in to it. It's able to get past the initial POST, but refuses to boot to anything, not even to the BIOS and just reboots itself. I've tried all 3 PCIe x8 slots and both x16 slots. None of them allows the system to boot past POST.

I know the card works fine because I've tried it on two other systems; a Supermicro X10SLL-F + i3-4160 and an Asus Strix B550-F + Ryzen 5600X. The card works fine on both of those motherboards.

What's going on here?

Update:
I moved my Geforce RTX 3080 from my gaming machine to this board just to see that the slots are at least fine and it boots flawlessly all the way to a live Linux distro which correctly detects the GPU, so seems like motherboard just doesn't like that SAS card, which is a bummer.

Update 2:
I tried the card on a third system (GA-H170-Gaming 3 + i5 6600) and it refuses to boot there (locked up at the HBA boot screen). So seems like the card is a bit finicky. I guess I"ll see if updating the card firmware helps.

Update 3:
It seems like HP HBA cards have a habit of locking up the boot process if the OPROM isn't disabled or set to EFI mode. I went ahead and did that and now the boot process succeeds. It doesn't seem to let me boot into the HBA disk though. Is this normal?

Final update for reference and Google:
I have now successfully updated the firmware on the HP H220 card to LSI stock P20 and it now boots under legacy OPROM without locking up the system. It seems like HP's OEM firmware has a nasty habit of preventing some (not all) motherboards to boot and the stock LSI firmware fixes it.

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
as you found, this problem with OEM cards is pretty standard. always better to get LSI cards ore preflashed.
good you were able to figure it out.