help!! Freenas 8 suddenly dead and failed to boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmommo

Cadet
I have Freenas 8.0 Installed and running for quite a while ( Half a year I think) without any problem. But it suddenly became unaccessable today. I plugged a monitor with it and found it is unable to boot up. I can see the 'Welcome to FreeNAS!' page with 7 options, and then default go with option 1 and restart. I have tried option 2,3,4 and 5 same result, restarting.

I have attached the boot up screens:

2011-11-28 11.06.51.jpg
2011-11-28 11.03.47.jpg

Please help me as I'm not so familiar with Freenas and linux.

mmommo

Cadet
I'm thinking of copy out the /data/freenas-v1.db out and reinstall a new system and restore the config database. But how can I read the Freenas system usb disk? I can even install a ubuntu system if that can read the usb. I don't even know the format of the system usb disk.

Thanks in advance for helping.

mmommo

Cadet
I have more than 3tb data I really don't want to lose them. My wife will kill me if I lost all our photos. If I could see the data again, the first thing I would do will be backup all the important files.

I found the Freenas has a "Auto Importing Volumes" feature, wondering if I install a new Freenas 8.02, can it auto import the existing zfs? I reckon the disks are all fine, the flash disk may have some problems.

ProtoSD

MVP
I found the Freenas has a "Auto Importing Volumes" feature, wondering if I install a new Freenas 8.02, can it auto import the existing zfs?

Yes, this is what you should do, with a new flash drive. Your data should be perfectly fine. If you had a FreeBSD system you might be able to recover your settings, but knowing that your data is still there will make you feel better and restoring settings will be minor.

mmommo

Cadet
installed the new version of FreeNAS, auto import, all data back except cofigs. Thanks protosd, and thanks for the wonderful product.

Milhouse

Guru
To recover your configuration, try the following after connecting your old USB stick into your server running your new FreeNAS installation - check dmesg or the console for the correct /dev/daX device:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/daXs4 /mnt/usb/

Copy the configuration to your ZFS storage...

Code:
cp /mnt/usb/freenas-v1.db /mnt/tank

or directly overwrite the configuration of your new installation and reboot (remember to remove your old USB key!):

Code:
cp /mnt/usb/freenas-v1.db /data
sync
reboot

Of course if the configuration partition is corrupt, you may not be able to access it or you may screw up your new installation.

I've created a cron job that copies /data/fressnas-v1.db to my share once a week...

mmommo

Cadet
1 day after, dead again with new problem: freenas device not ready after 31000ms. Looks like one of my disk is dead, but they are all fairly new disks and all WD2002fyps disks which they claimed as the enterprise standard for almost doubled price.

It won't switch down so I hold the power button to shut it down manually, but it wont boot up any more without any information show on screen.

I'm making another brand new FreeNas usb stick now and will report any problem later.

mmommo

Cadet
The booting problem is found that after unplugged all the cables, the mb changed the booting order by itself. I changed it back and changed all the cables which seams a bit wobbly. And now up and running again. will see if anything goes wrong from now on. Considering buying the nice looking Lian-Li SATA cables bunched and with lockers.

And thanks Milhouse, I don't really want to restore the old configs, I'm happy to set everything once again for there are couples of problems and tweaks that I want to fix for a long time and haven't had time or an excuse for that.

ProtoSD

MVP
Considering buying the nice looking Lian-Li SATA cables bunched and with lockers.

Good idea, I use locking cables on mine, only thing worse than a loose cable is lost data ;)

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
it sounds like you might have a flacky power supply. If the machine's been running fine for years and suddenly died then the PSU is probably busy failing. Check it with a digital PSU tester if you can, quite often a failing PSU seems to work fine but might be low on the volatage needed to properly power-up everything

Status
Not open for further replies.