HELP Failed to allocate initial memory window

Status
Not open for further replies.

p274868

Dabbler
I am currently having issues install FREENAS 9.3 on to a Super micro motherboard. The specs of the system are listed below. The issue that i am having is I am receiving the following error message during my 9.3 stable install. "pcib10: failed to allocate initial memory window: 0xfa600000-0xfa6fffff.

Things I have tried:
1). What is kinda odd is if i remove one of the pci-x supermicro sata cards i am able to install 9.3 stable with out any issues. With no pci-x cards installed 9.3 stable installs without issues
2). Tried the same setup on another identical board and have the same problem
3). swapped ram slots
4). Tried installing with one cpu installed vs 2
5). changes come of the acpi settings but instead of receiving the memory window error i get a fatal 12 error
6). tried installing 9.1.1 and it installs but on reboot another error occurs (might be choice of flash drive i am using, trying a different one as we speak)
7).using different ram
8). check bios REV and the newest version is installed

I seem to have narrowed it down to the PCI-x cards as being the cuplret. Not sure if the third card is exceeding the ACPI allocated memory window or there are issues with the BIOS rev. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Specs:
AOC-SAT2-MV8 Controller Cards
X8dtn+ Supermicro motherboard
24GB ECC ram
AOC-SIMLP-3+ IMPI card
Dual Intel Xeon E5620 Quad Core 2.40GHz

Attachments

• IMG_20151031_123940.jpg
    IMG_20151031_123940.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 265

p274868

Dabbler
switched flash drives to a sandisk cruzer 16gb and 9.1.1 x64 installed fine with the 3 supermicro sata cards installed. Now i am really stumped.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

p274868

Dabbler
thank you for the response. Interesting, I have been and are currently running these AOC marvel controllers in my H8DME-2 on 9.3 stable without any issues. I am only in the process of changing me setup because i wanted AES-in support and need to get a newer board to support and was hoping to use the same cards in my new build. Any ideas why 9.3 would install and run without fuss on the h8dme-2 board with these cards? They have been rock sold on that board and i have been running freenas on them since 9.1.1 without issues and now on 9.3 without issues.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I cannot explain it.
In a large number of cases, a failure occurs out of the blue after the use of non-recommended
hardware for months or even years.
And sometimes they are used and always work (unexplained) without failure until the owner
finally chooses to replace them.

p274868

Dabbler
I am going to do some further test but would there be any issues with using mismatched sata expanders. For example 2 AOC-SAT2-MV8 Controller Cards and one Dell H310 flashed in IT mode? I currently have two 12 disk arrays in z3 striped and need 24 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.